Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leftover Brisket Shepherd's Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftover Brisket Shepherd's Pie

Not a surprise, my wife and I couldn't finish that 12 pound brisket I cooked Saturday, even with the help of our one-year-old son. So this Shepherd's Pie is the first use of the leftovers (more to come).

Started with a layer of brisket, a combo of point and flat, mixed with smoked onions and a little bacon...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Brisket Onions Bacon.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	570246

Added a little homemade beef broth to keep it from drying out, and a touch of homemade bbq sauce...

Name:	2 BBQ Sauce and Beef Broth.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	570247

Peas and mashed carrots...

Name:	3 Peas and Carrots.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	570248

Mashed potatoes with garlic, smoked onion, bacon, and cheddar...

Name:	4 Potatoes.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	570249

A little sprinkle of cheese on top...

Name:	5 Cheese on Top.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	570250

In the oven it went...

Name:	6 Baked.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	570251

Sliced and ready to go.

Name:	7 Finished Slice.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	570252

The bad news... I haven't actually eaten any yet. It got packed up to bring to work for lunch.
    The good news... Lunch is in about an hour, though I may not wait that long.

Will report back on the results, but from the few pieces I "tested" from the bottom of the dish and the bits that I "tested" from each layer as I was adding it, it's going to be one awesome lunch.

Nothing wrong with that!!

Comment

Yummy!

Comment

Looks damn good!

Comment

The last shepherd's pie I ate (in a restaurant) used sweets taters instead of regular potatoes. It's a good idea and worth a try!

Comment

WOW!!! This sounds incredible. Great idea. I need to make this in like February, when I haven't seen the sun in months and the thermometer never rises above zero!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I know right. Or a whole pan of Shepards pie! jumbo7676

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              Might as well make it a whole bottle of bourbon while we're at it. Spinaker

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              hahahahaha, I might burn the whole county down if that were the case. jumbo7676

Mmmmmmmm!

Comment

Heeeellloooo! That looks amazing! Great idea for leftovers. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

That looks an sounds incredible!!!!
                Thanks fer th detailed tutorial, this is a must do fer me!!!!

Comment

Awesome idea. I’ve never had brisket leftovers (even when it’s just my wife and I...a couple friends always sneak over too), but I may plan for some just to try this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Yahooooo! I'm going to try that!

Comment

Hooooo-ee! Chank-a-CHANK!
                      Last edited by gcdmd; September 25, 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Leftover meal #2 - not nearly as impressive looking, but still delicious.

Bottom bun slathered with a smoked garlic spread. Close to this recipe but cooked at a higher temp and less time to try to roast the garlic and mellow the flavor a bit. Then a thin layer of smoked onions with bacon that were leftover from what went into the shepherd's pie, followed by a healthy portion of thick sliced brisket. Topped off with some of Meathead's Bright, Bold, and Quick Pickled Red Onions.

The verdict: One tasty sammich, though not spectacular. If I could do it again (which I can!), I would go heavier on the garlic spread. It came out really delicious but the garlic flavor definitely mellowed while smoking so it could have used more to hold up to the strong beef and pickled onion flavors.

Name:	sandwich.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	570735

Comment

I love me some shepherds pie !! One of those all time great comfort foods!!! Nice write up and presentation, I know it was good !!!!

Comment

Think I just added your shepherds pie to my must do list. Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here