Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of Beef Tongue, How's About Beef Heart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Beef Tongue, How's About Beef Heart?

Grilled? Smoked? Diced for chili?

Is it livery at all? Chewy.

Originally posted by Willy View Post
    Grilled? Smoked? Diced for chili?

Is it livery at all? Chewy.
    Very chewy for sure. I've only done hearts a few times, and I'm not sure I've settled on any kind of good cooking method.

Comment

I do them like Tongue and use a pressure cooker first then usually simmer in a sauce for sandwiches or tacos.
      Heart can have a hint of that wild game flavor at times.

Comment

I remember seeing some place on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives turn beef hearts into pastrami. It looked incredible.

Comment

I'm not sure even pastrami would get me on the heart wagon. I was checking out tongue and heart the other day and the freaking crap is $5+ per pound.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Have a heart they only have 1 of each.

I’ve never cooked it myself but have had beef heart steak at a restaurant (plus had it as skewers called antichuchos at Peruvian restaurants). It’s very lean and beefy and not all that gamey. There was very little intramuscular fat and was tightly textured. Think flank steak but even leaner. I really liked the taste and texture despite the leanness. If I recall it was served med rare.

Comment

Yep it is super beefy and tough to not over cook and have it all chewy and tough. Though about grinding it up fine then pressing it and using the juice for a brisket injection.

Comment

I remember the Captain, he did the vocal in Willie the Pimp, "standing on the corner with a twenty dollar bill, hot meat, hot rats".

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, the Captain!

I loved heart as a kid. My mom would pound it with the meat tenderizer, season with salt, dredge lightly in flour, and then fry it. Very delicious. I keep meaning to have it again but never remember to buy it. And I am scared I will hate it now and will ruin a good childhood memory.

Comment

Years ago my dad made jerky with beef heart, it was good as I remember. That was 50 years ago and heart was very cheap.

Comment

Like all muscle tissue, the heart is supported by an extensive web of fibrous tissue. This tissue is most dense around the valves and in the septa (partitions) between the atria and ventricles and is referred to as the cardiac skeleton.
                  Last edited by gcdmd; September 25, 2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I just read about a recipe that leaves the heart in balsamic overnight to tenderize then cooks it hot and fast on a skillet. I bought some heart on crowd cow...think I will try this out.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Be sure to fill us in on the outcome!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here