Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grass-Fed Beef Short Plate Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I hear you about grass-fed flavor, Potkettleblack , which is why I'm so inexperienced in smoking cuts from 100% grass fed beef. I never buy the stuff. I've had some really gamey grass-fed beef meals at restaurants in the past and it was always an unpleasant experience. But this particular beef from our friend is not gamey-tasting, just super lean.

Sounds like the consensus is that sous vide has to step in and save the day, one way or another. Thanks, johnec00 , Postkettleblack, and EdF for your thoughts. I'm leaning toward SV-Q for my next try.

Ed, that's a quite nice SV info compilation from posts on The Pit that you have there on Evernote. I scrolled to the section that you had on beef ribs. Lots of good ideas. Thank you. I miss Breadhead (one of the references in those notes). He did some amazing cooks.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Personally, I’d Sous Vide long, shock and then smoke hotter than 275. But I’m out of the grass fed business, as I don’t care for the flavor without some silage to finish.

as a side note, the only things I SV north of 160 are vegetables and eggs.

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    replied
    I'd give a Q-SV a try. Smoke until a reasonable bark then bag and SV at a relatively high temperature (maybe 180º-190º) for 4-5 hours. As final polish, sear on the gasser to re-set the bark. Can't say I've done this with grass fed anything, but it's been successful for select brisket flat pastrami. Anyway just my 2¢.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    I'd QVQ or SVQ - short rib is one of the best cuts for that treatment. Potkettleblack can no doubt give some sage advice.

Or you can search for short rib here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKIlTFr77..._MJOc6dUsrYfbw
    Last edited by EdF; September 22, 2018, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    started a topic Grass-Fed Beef Short Plate Question

Grass-Fed Beef Short Plate Question

A friend of ours raises grass-fed Devon cattle. He's new to the game with this breed and pasture. He gave us some of his first butcher on a bull that did not have a good enough conformation to be allowed to live well and prosper. He wants feedback. One package in the lot contained two 2-bone pieces of short plate dino ribs.

I don't have access to nice-sized thick cuts of short plate, except for short ribs, so getting my mitts on these two mid-sized dino-rib cuts was exciting. The pieces were about 3 inches thick with the meat in two tiers separated by a plane of fat. Top tier--virtually no marbling; bottom tier next to the bone--a bit of marbling.

I smoked at 275° and the ribs were done in 5 hours (!), so I had to faux cambro for 4 more hours, serving at 155° meat temp. I pulled/wrapped/cambroed at probe tenderness which was 190° in the tier close to the bone.

I could tell that the top tier was dried out by looking at it. We could eat it chopped with BBQ sauce but it was a dry bite otherwise. But the bottom tier was a nice chunk of pure beef heaven--perfectly done and delicious. Of course it had a little fat in it while the top was pretty much fat-free.

I'd like to try this again with another similar piece of short plate and am thinking of QVQ or SVQ ing it since the two layers of muscle have drastically different fat contents. Either that or maybe I should just remove the top layer and go with the lower, marbled one and smoke it all the way at 275° again. The layers are each about an inch or more thick.

Any thoughts on how I should cook the next one?

Thanks,
    Kathryn

P.S. I'm not much of a fan of smoking grass-fed beef because of its low fat content and sometimes gamey flavor, but my friend wants me to give different cuts a try and let him know my findings. So that's why I'm not too familiar with smoking 100% grass-fed beef.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; September 23, 2018, 07:05 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here