Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeyes--20 for $25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeyes--20 for $25

Yep, it's true. I drove by a parking lot yesterday and in it was a truck with a big sign advertising this "screaming deal". I chuckled and drove on. Now, it occurs to me that maybe, just maybe, these would be a good base for burgers if mixed with some fat trimmings from briskets.

Probably not, but your thoughts/experiences?

Let's see, if they are 2 oz. steaks x 20 each that's 40 oz. or 2.5 lbs. Well that's $10/lb. Hmmm, sells all day long for less than that if you buy select !! All kidding aside, I'd have to see them, may be a lot of fat or real thin cuts. As you say though, might make good burger grind. Check it out and report back !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Real thin wouldn't be a problem for me. I like some real thin steaks seared hard for take to work lunches.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes for some good sandwich material when they're thin like that.

My thoughts are - what kind of meat is it - Hmmmmm...

Comment

Maybe it’s teddy bear meat. Wonder what it tastes like.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        cock-a-doodle-doo

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        The teddy bear in question didn’t have any fur.

• Greasy
        Greasy commented
        Editing a comment
        I strongly suspect that Teddy Bear tastes like Pooh!

Use caution and feed the first one to an out of favor family member.

Comment

So, I stopped by to check 'em out. They're 1/4 pound each and 1/4"-ish thick. I'll pass, even for burger. At $5 per pound for burger, it's not worth it and, imho, a 1/4-inch steak is a sin.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Thin steaks are solid with a decent sear and served as a sandwich filling. Or, for the keto inclined, breadless sandwich at work, where you only have a microwave to reheat. But feel free to pass.

ah, rodent ribeyes. Were they prime or choice? j/k

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          USDA kinda/sorta or not OK grade, or maybe the one below that.

I guess the choices are trash fed or lab raised🐭. I think a red 🍷 wine

Comment

Years ago, when I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid like now), I fell for one of these truck deals. The steaks were terrible. We ended up throwing most of them away.

Comment

• Fire Art
            Fire Art commented
            Editing a comment
            They use to give them for free with meat order. they were horrible and that’s giving them a huge compliment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Tasted like old liver.

Once or twice over the years I've been home on a Saturday when some guy in a pickup with a big cooler in the back would drive through the neighborhood trying to sell meat out of the back of his pickup. I recently saw a guy like that on the side of the road with a deep freeze in the back of a pickup. I've always passed. I'll bet its stuff that got outdated or past the sell by date somewhere else, or its the cut below USDA SELECT, which normally would not go to a consumer.

Comment

I believe that they Process from old roping stears that rodeoed three nights.

Comment

Potkettleblack I have a great idea. We can use those thin steaks as the bread for the sandwich. Slap some mustard, mortadella, salami and a peppers on there with some leattuce for crunch!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here