Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Tongue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechSmoker
    replied
    Beef tongue or lengua as they call it at the taco stand is one of my favorite taco fillings.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely a favorite cut! Tender and tasty!

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    Just finished the tongue and it awesome!!! I would describe it as the most tender tasting roast you’ll cook.
    This was a 2.5lb tongue, cooked in the insta pot for 40 mins and slow release. Added onions, peppers, celery, 1 can of French onion soup and 1 can of beef broth.
    When it was done I peeled the membrane off, cubed it up and simmered it in a homemade BBQ sauce made from the leftover liquid. This turned out darn good and so easy. Next time after I take the membrane off I’ll throw it in the smoker and see how that turns out.
    Tacos here we come!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	5915C6E3-1F3D-40AE-BB08-61FA1C6946BE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	569935Click image for larger version  Name:	FE3A7186-050F-4D0E-875F-F1B82FB0765F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	569934

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    commented on 's reply
    I have a calf’s tongue so it’s a little smaller. I’m thinking it will cook pretty fast in the insta pot. Going to try 35 min with some beef broth, French onion soup and veggies. Then I’ll cool it for slicing. If I have enough I’ll try and throw some on the smoker and try that.

• Dadof3Illinois
    commented on 's reply
    My family has always used old style pressure cookers. 40-45 min and it peeled pretty easy. With today’s insta pots I think it will work awesome. Add in some French onion soup, beef broth, onions and mushrooms how could it be bad???

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    I like the gamey taste myself... a lot normally.

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    I like the gamey taste myself... a lot normally.

• Troutman
    replied
    My grandmother ate tongue all the time....she died

(but not from the tongue)

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    That's the ticket!

• HouseHomey
    replied
    I've had in taco and burritos my whole life. Like Jerod said the trick would be peeling it. I would braise is first in a flavorful liquid as you can make, peel and then smoke.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    I make tacos with them

Leave a comment:

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    I love it. There's a very authentic Mexican restaurant in Greensboro that has it. Excellent tacos.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    My struggle will be trying to cook enough to get the skin off without overly doing it so I can still smoke it for pastrami.

I may have to adapt a sous vide Q for this after curing. Give it a big chill and then smoke at about 300.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I am curious. I don't remember ever trying it before.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    I've only made it once, using Julia Child's braised tongue recipe in Art of French Cooking. All I can say is that it was amazing. Full, deep beef flavor, the tenderness of tenderloin. I imagine the pressure cooker approach is similar. But it's the details in her recipe that put it over the top. So,I'd find the recipe and then adapt it to the IP.

Often enough people buy them pre-smoked (probably cured as well), and that seems to be the more common approach to tongue. So you may want to look into that too!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here