Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Tongue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Tongue

I cook beef tongue once or twice a year. Put it in the insta pot/pressure cooker with beef broth French onion soup, onions, salt and pepper. Cook 45 mins, then trim all the membrane off and cut into smaller pieces. Brown it in a CI skillet with your favorite seasonings. Reduce the liquid for a nice brown sauce. Serve over rice or use the meat in some tacos.

Does anyone have a different method or has anyone tried to slow smoke one?

I grew up with it and never acquired a taste for it. It was typical south Louisiana rice and gravy. I do plan to make pastrami out of the next deer tongue I take home.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois Game taste never bothered me. I know folks that can't stand dove and duck due to that game taste, love that stuff.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the gamey taste myself... a lot normally.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the gamey taste myself... a lot normally.

I've only made it once, using Julia Child's braised tongue recipe in Art of French Cooking. All I can say is that it was amazing. Full, deep beef flavor, the tenderness of tenderloin. I imagine the pressure cooker approach is similar. But it's the details in her recipe that put it over the top. So,I'd find the recipe and then adapt it to the IP.

Often enough people buy them pre-smoked (probably cured as well), and that seems to be the more common approach to tongue. So you may want to look into that too!

Comment

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I am curious. I don't remember ever trying it before.

Comment

My struggle will be trying to cook enough to get the skin off without overly doing it so I can still smoke it for pastrami.

I may have to adapt a sous vide Q for this after curing. Give it a big chill and then smoke at about 300.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a calf’s tongue so it’s a little smaller. I’m thinking it will cook pretty fast in the insta pot. Going to try 35 min with some beef broth, French onion soup and veggies. Then I’ll cool it for slicing. If I have enough I’ll try and throw some on the smoker and try that.

I love it. There's a very authentic Mexican restaurant in Greensboro that has it. Excellent tacos.

Comment

I make tacos with them

Comment

I've had in taco and burritos my whole life. Like Jerod said the trick would be peeling it. I would braise is first in a flavorful liquid as you can make, peel and then smoke.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the ticket!

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              My family has always used old style pressure cookers. 40-45 min and it peeled pretty easy. With today’s insta pots I think it will work awesome. Add in some French onion soup, beef broth, onions and mushrooms how could it be bad???

My grandmother ate tongue all the time....she died

(but not from the tongue)

Comment

Just finished the tongue and it awesome!!! I would describe it as the most tender tasting roast you’ll cook.
              This was a 2.5lb tongue, cooked in the insta pot for 40 mins and slow release. Added onions, peppers, celery, 1 can of French onion soup and 1 can of beef broth.
              When it was done I peeled the membrane off, cubed it up and simmered it in a homemade BBQ sauce made from the leftover liquid. This turned out darn good and so easy. Next time after I take the membrane off I’ll throw it in the smoker and see how that turns out.
              Tacos here we come!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	5915C6E3-1F3D-40AE-BB08-61FA1C6946BE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	569935Click image for larger version  Name:	FE3A7186-050F-4D0E-875F-F1B82FB0765F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	569934

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely a favorite cut! Tender and tasty!

Beef tongue or lengua as they call it at the taco stand is one of my favorite taco fillings.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here