Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Chuckie: Wrap or don't wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Chuckie: Wrap or don't wrap?

Smoking my second chuckie today on the offset. Things are going good. Using lump and oak chunks. The Fireboard Drive and Fan are doing a very nice job of maintaining temps. I'm looking for suggestions on whether to wrap/foil/crotch or not. Anybody?

Depends on timing for me.

Comment

Does it make a difference in taste or texture in your experience?

Comment

Yes, I think it does. It's a little hard to say though. I've done side by side chuck roasts and had them finish at different times, and generally, have different characteristics. I often smoke them in a foil pan now to save the drippings so I can add them back in after chopping or pulling the beef. But the main reason I would wrap would be to break the stall because I'm wanting to finish the cook faster.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Foil pan, even under the grate is worth it. If pulling the beef, you want to mix that back in.

I treat like brisket, wrap when I have plenty bark. Most eventually get wrapped since I take up to 208-ish internal for good pulling.

Comment

I haven't wrapped one yet, but may wrap one in the future if the mood strikes me. Currently, I have no reason to wrap. All mine have turned out nice and juicy without wrapping.

Comment

Well I definitely would stay away from the crotch. 😳😬.
            Seriously though I always wrap my chuckies with aluminum foil when I hit about 170*. By than they have a good bark and plenty of smoke flavor. Than get em up to probe tender.
            Than into the cambro for at least 2hrs. If possible I go 3-4hrs. I can usually pull them by hand at this point.
            However if you plan on slicing, you my want to let it ride. They will be a little bit firmer and less likely to fall apart.
            Get us some pics please.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't wrap until after I pulled it off and put it in the faux 'bro. It came out good. I neglected to take pix for some reason. Made Sammie's on Portuguese rolls with sauteed onions and peppers, cheese and a dab of bbq sauce.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Pulled chuckies make awesome cheesesteaks.
              Some beef love or ghee in a CI pan. Sauté up some onions, jalapeños. Than add the pulled beef. Stir around until hot and add cheese, lots of cheese. Depending on how I feel I will use either American, pepper jack, or mozzarella. And occasionally provalone.
              Why did I just post this. Now I’m freaking hungry.

I wrap them. Even if I have sous vided. I like to wrap with some beef stock, some onions, sherry, red wine, rosemary or some other herb, maybe tamari, tomato paste and or fish sauce, just to pump the umami. Like others, after the bark is well established.

This is for pulling.

Comment

I like to take it all the way, but I love a good, thick bark on my chuckies. I find that wrapping makes the bark too soft for my liking.

Comment

I never wrap anymore.

Comment

I wrap after the stall to save some time, and also because I don't care as much about the bark on chuckies, for whatever reason. Also, I like to maximize the amount of that awesome au jus I can catch in the foil.

Comment

I foil wrap with a small amount of beef broth after stall/good bark, about 170 180. I don't wrap for slicing.

Comment

So how did it turn out?
                      I’ve cooked them all different ways now and each has its benefits. If I’m making pulled beef then panning with peppers and onions are awesome. I like to wrap at 160 in foil for some good sliced beefed. If the roast has good marbling then letting it go unwrapped is great too. Or cut into cubes, pan with your fav sauce and rub and make some burnt ends.....chuckies are so versital and oh so yummy!!!

Comment

Chuck and shoulder roasts always get crutched by me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B8B4118B-0C35-46D6-AA37-3286C2B048A2.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	567726 I like to
                          wrap mine when I do them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here