Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time brisket help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time brisket help

Hi,
    I've been cooking on my 22 Weber for the last 3 years and have stuff like temperature control more or less down, been doing a lot of pulled pork, lamb shoulders and ribs for friends, but tomorrow I'm trying my first brisket. I think, thankks to the main site and all the amazing info on this forum, I know what I want to do, but when I got my brisket (around 10lbs), I ran into a problem. I know that most people say to put the thermometer probe in the thickest part of the flat, but my brisket kinda looks different then the ones I saw online, so my question is, where would be the best place to put the probe? (see pictures) sorry for the picture quality, cheap crappy cellphone

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	565990Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	565991

A brisket is a brisket, and that's a pretty good trim for your first. Briskets can be pushed around a bit, and compacted, and I think that how you have it a bit 'stretched out' with some suet left between the flat and point is why you think it looks different. Leave it as is - an opinion.

Myself, I would put the probe, according to the lower pic, in the lower slab dead center starting at 6 O'clock and running it up towards noon equidistant from the bottom and top. From what I can see and how I look at it. I don't want to try to change what you have going - it'll be great.

Have a GREAT cook!

Comment

Set it in the middle
      We usually go in in the area we plan to get our turn in slices from
      Just remember the reading you get will be the lowest the outside edges will be higher
      ENJOY!

Comment

As mentioned, right in the thickest of that lower slab in the bottom pic.

Comment

JGo37 and Jerod Broussard both have it right. Start probing for tenderness around 190°

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Right! Have a insta-read pen tester too, because when that slides in like a hot knife in butter, that tells you you're done - not necessarily probe temp alone. Thanks texastweeter

Thanks for the tips, brisket is on the weber now, little bit later than I wanted, but I overslept (not a morning person), but I hope it'll be fine, planing on having dinner around 7, that gives me 12 hours, brisket is around 8-9lbs after trimming and my weber likes to run between 260 and 280 anyways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_070503651.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	566164

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookn good!

What grade was it? If lower than CAB (choice q and 2) i would crutch in foil once bark is set (usually around 165). If CAB, prime, or Waygu, same, but use butcher paper. This will help with cooking time. Looks good to me.

Comment

• lfj
            lfj commented
            Editing a comment
            Not graded I think, I ordered it from porterroad since everything I ordered there before (pork butt, lb shoulder, spareribs, beef ribs,...) was really good quality and they dryage all beef for at least 14 days. From my amateur perspective it had some nice marbling. It went into the stall around 148 an hour ago,3.5 hours into the cook is now at 154, but the bark isn't quite where I want it.

My plan is to let it uncovered for about another hour and then wrap it in butcher paper. Cooking temp is around 270

Comment

Just an update on my first brisket (all very exciting) I wrapped it in butcher paper 50 minutes ago since it was still sitting at 153, didn't put on the lid properly while wrapping, I blame the pilsner urquell and Sierra Nevada hazy little thing, temps shot up to about 340, took me 30 minutes to get to 270 again, but that powered me through the stall, at 170 right now and steadily rising. I just hope I don't produce beef jerky.

Comment

lfj I highly doubt you produced beef jerky ..... it will be fine. Just keep on with your plan. I like the look of that brisket.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here