Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nuking Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuking Brisket Question

Nuked some brisket flat that I sliced fairly thin in the microwave for about 10 seconds and it was very tender and juicy. It didn’t have the same smoky flavour compared with the just cooked serving but it had been in the fridge for a couple days. It’s the first time I’ve reheated brisket this way is this the norm?

It's not unusual.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I do everything in stages in the Science Oven. If I think something needs a minute, I go 30 seconds, check, 20 seconds, check, and maybe 10 or more seconds more. Staging is important.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack I have the biggest baddest latest Science Oven you can get, and as far as I can tell it will only do things in 30 second increments. They don't tell you that on the box...

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s odd. No time cook function?

going light on the microwave definitely results in a better experience than trying to get it super hot. the microwave does horrible things to meat in a short amount of time. i like to try to catch it right when it's just getting hot enough for me to enjoy eating it.

Comment

If I have food from a cook that is going to be stored more than a day it goes into a FoodSaver vacuum sealed bag. More than a few days and into the freezer. To reheat either way the bags are gently simmered in hot water.

I think this is the best way to keep leftovers from tasting like leftovers.

Comment

I've had better experience with reheating meat in an air fryer than in the microwave.

Comment

I may add a splash of beef broth and cover with a moist paper towel.

Comment

In Kenji's book The Food Lab he has a whole section on cooking food in the microwave. I've done tons of veggies that way and they come out surprisingly good. I do brisket, pastrami, really all kinds of left over meats that way as well. Like PKB says, just don't overdue it, a little goes a long way.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              This. I've reheated almost everything in the microwave. There's nothing bad, nor good about the machine itself, it's how it's used that makes it work or not work. Put stuff in and leave it? Bad. Watch what you're doing? Good.

I'd eat it cold.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              I do and love it cold.

bag the brisket with the pan juices and reheat in a SV
            yummster
            But if its just me and my bride I nuke

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              SV on my list of want to have's.

I do the same, paper-towel covered. I bring Texas Juice that's bottled in the fridge back to a simmer and trust that to warm things up to eat leftovers. Love it for breakfast with scrambled eggs and salsa roja.

I'll also chop it up and make brisket refried rice in the wok at a hugely high temp, for 30 seconds. I add what I have, like a smoked corn cob's kernels or shrimp. You can put that straight into 'street size' soft tortillas heated from a hot griddle for the same 30 seconds.

Isn't it hard to screw up smoked brisket leftovers?

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              I've made brisket and PP leftover cottage pie with great results.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here