Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible sous vide brisket. :( So disappointed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You were right. It wasn’t a helpful post. ;-)
    I trim, I salt, I age, I inject beef broth, I season, and I SnS. I run at ~ 230F average, a bit up and down, and keep adding hickory until ~ 165F. Then I baste with the suet I've reduced every 10F. At 195 I start poking, and when the pen slides in like nothing is there (highest so far has been 210F), I wrap and put in a table-top roaster on warm with a cup of beef broth for 3 hours.
    I trim, salt, season, smoke for a couple hours, seal it in a bag and soak it for a few days, season it again, and smoke it for a couple hours. Basted, inject, age, wrap, cambro, 10-14 hours of fire management with adding chunks? No. Traditional brisket is very fiddly and surprisingly labor intensive. QVQ, applied properly, produces exceptionally consistent results with a minimum of fiddling, as the Sous Vide time is almost entirely set and forget.

You may not want medium rare brisket. But you will never achieve it without Sous Vide. You may enjoy injecting and basting. I don’t and never will have to with Sous Vide.

Different strokes for folks.
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bask in my awestruck admiration sir - I have been chastised. ;o)

Another thing is that you'll lose less moisture. I measured some butts I did traditional and wound up with about 35% yield. Some others with QVS - 55% yield. Small sample set of course, but I think indicative.

Had this discussion with the wife a few days back - she was horrified how much liquid was in the bag. Tried to explain that all evaporates using the traditional method. Forget I had evidence.

Probably just as well! ;-)

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      OK - maybe there's a reason CL doesn't have any SV setups for sale. My guess is everyone is keeping theirs. I just got smart on SV and it looks like $ 350.00 spent wisely on Amazon get's me adequately started. I hope I don't want more than one within a week.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck, Boss! Ask questions!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here