Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving a tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving a tri-tip

On Tuesday I walked out in my garage and noticed something on a table and asked my wife about strawberrys and veggies on a table and she said "Oh no!" and I continued "a tri -tip that is warm". This was about 5pm. I immediately threw the the meat in the fridge.
    We calculated that the meat had been taken out of the freezer at around 9pm the previous day. I was doing a full wack of spare wibs on my kettle at the time. I finished the wibs at about 7:15. We checked the meat after I took it out of the crayovac, it was a Creekstone Farms tri-tip. My wife says it doesn’t smell fresh, but not bad. I concurred. Cooked it between 275 and 290, brought it to 135 and seared it, finishing in the 140-143 range. Voila! Mission accomplished, had it for dinner this evening, was delicious. I do not recommend doing this, but food for thought. Using a little judgement & reasoning we saved a good piece of meat. I know this subject has been broached before & some reactions have been knee jerk as to tossing it. FYI.

Oh, pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1EBF1C-F0AD-49ED-AE14-5F1907AA9496.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	564958Click image for larger version

Name:	C64D8BF8-373C-4277-8227-53A2CB508644.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	564959

Comment

Well, will be looking for a followup post from you tomorrow, just to make sure things is still ok with you. Who knows, maybe by then your r's will return.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        It just reminds me of that Devo song
        "Now wib it
        Into shape
        Shape it up
        Get straight
        Go forward
        Move ahead
        Try to detect it
        It's not too late
        To wib it
        Wib it good"

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        My new motto, "wib it good".

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

My thought is that there is no amount of money saved that would make it worth the risk. I’m sure you will be fine, but I wouldn’t have done what you did.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought that for a good part of the time it was frozen. If it was another 6 hrs or so in my calculating I would have thought differently. I think one can trust your senses somewhat.

Part of the salvation was the fact that it was cryovaced. With most of the air sucked out of the bag the bacteria, although being activated by temperature, had little or no oxygen to thrive. Best be careful though, sometimes those little beasties can get very nasty ....

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it's anaerobic bugs that will really have a ball in one's GI tract.

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm more into those yoga bugs. An aerobic bug gives me visions of six legs flailing and sweating to dance pop/disco songs like "What a Feeling"... visions of Flashdance.

I probably would have thought about it before throwing it out (particularly lamenting the price of that beautiful piece of meat and the meal that could have been). But, having recently gone through days of food poisoning because of a bad pork burrito at a fast casual place, probably would have tossed it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here