Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filet Mignon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filet Mignon

Hey guys - I know I should be able to find this here somewhere. But I'm making a few Filet Mignon steaks tonight - about an inch thick... I think the plan is to reverse sear. I was thinking of taking the to like 120 on an indirect grill at 225 and then searing the hell out of them. Sound right? And any idea how long the indirect portion will take?

Sounds about right to me although I have no idea how long they will take on the indirect side (if I was sous viding them, I would expect about an hour or so cooking at 120 so maybe half as long?)

Comment

I would think 20 - 30 minutes would be about average for the indirect portion of your cook. My 2" steaks run 30 - 40 minutes indirect.

Comment

I would pull them at 115 so you don't overcook them during the sear.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, that's what I would do with filet. Do not overshoot 130, that meat needs to be eaten rare, like budda !!!

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I am with you on the 115. Back steak should be super rare. I have been known to eat a few thin slices raw while I am grilling the rest for the others. Back steak is "Tuna of the farm".

About 29 minutes. Pull at 110° at most. The heat build up in a 1" grows exponentially. 100 to105 before the sear. Be carfeful not to over cook.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Like the "grows exponentially". I would have said really fast or moe quicker. 😎

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan just made me lol.....that’s good stuff.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan more fastest.

I used to buy whole filets from Costco and cut them into steaks and freeze. Thinner ones for my wife and thicker for me. She always had some left over and since they were past medium, I didn't want to finish hers. So we had another couple over last night and I took a whole filet and cut a section that would give us each a 2" piece, knowing the ladys would only want a thin slice and us guys would get a thicker piece. Cooked at 300 on raised grid, had a CI griddle on the spider below. Pull at 110-115 and rested. Removed the grid and opened up the vent, got to 600 in a matter of minutes. Seared 90 seconds on each quarter turn (total of 6 minutes). Pulled and it was 125-130, tented and rested for 10 minutes.

I had seasoned with worcestershire sauce and my espresso-cocoa rub. After the rest, set it on a board sauce of EVOO, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Sliced two 3/4" pieces for the women and guys each got pieces over 3" thick. The result was no left over pieces and everything was a perfect medium rare. Personally I don't care much for filets, as they don't have much flavor, so we made a gorganzola cream sauce that was great Click image for larger version

Name:	22aa3944138b41611811fb3bcfd9ed.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	564471Click image for larger version

Name:	d2a4f81d0161927edb65bdbe23b734.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	564472Click image for larger version

Name:	37c3a09923c3986be395fe19750b0e.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	564473

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent write up. I am with you. Tender but no flavor in a filet. Eat a rib eye!!

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look great! We really like fillets at our house!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the way to do it!

I have never actually smoked a fillet. It sounds interesting. The roast that wrgilb showed above looks fantastic. I buy those from Costco but cut them into steaks and grill. I will try his method, now. For grilling, I use a Santa Maria grill and keep it far from the flame at first until it is browned on all sides. I then put more fuel on the fire and when it blazes, I brush a mix of olive oil, soy sauce, Greek oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme. I lower the grate and really let it go. I turn often, brushing with each turn. I brush the sauce on each side after I pull and put a little bleu cheese butter on top. It comes out looking a lot like the photo that @wrgrilb displayed, but no nearly as pretty. My dad has dentures and this is a cut that he can still eat. My wife and I have a big disagreement about fillets vs rib-eyes. So I sometimes do the rib-eye for me and the fillet for her.

Comment

I'm a big fan of smoking the whole tenderloin. It works very well. But that wasn't what HermanGerman asked for. The advice you've gotten already in this thread is golden. Now remember to take photos!

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. The whole tenderloin smokes up really nice.

Thanks all. After about 30 minutes, I pulled them at 115 and Seared. Probably should have pulled them at 110, but man, they were good...

For what it's worth, I served them w/ a Basil Parmesan Mayo (same stuff I normally serve w/ my whole Beef Tenderloin). Perfect match. Throw in a little red wine, and, well, yum.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here