Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some tips on brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some tips on brisket

Did my first one today/ last night came out pretty good but the bark definitely didn’t have enough crunch after I put it in the Cambro, and I did try to crisp it up on grill afterwards. Also, and I preface that I know the flat is really lean and always way drier, but parts of it were ridiculously dry though not burnt up. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cooked on a Webber 22 with slow n sear, kingsford briquettes, apple and hickory. Did not mop, spray or crutch. Thanks in advance gents.
    Attached Files

Well, I’ve cooked several briskets on the Weber + SNS, but always crutched them around 160, and have had moist results. I was following the recipe here:

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

If Meathead recommends a foil crutch with some beef broth, who am I to argue?

All that said, the quality of meat has a huge impact. I’ve only cooked Prime briskets. Choice or select will likely be much drier, and more likely to need the crutch to retain moisture.

Comment

• Robvjr
      Robvjr commented
      Editing a comment
      I did do choice, thanks for the tips

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Robvjr if cooking choice, unless it’s Angus certified, you will likely want to sacrifice some bark for moisture, and crutch in foil once you get into the stall. I crutch at 160 or so myself.

I wish I could help. I stay away from the flat. When I feel like brisket, I get the point section

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, since a whole brisket doesn’t quite fit in my smoker, the flat side either gets corned or added to hamburger or sausage blend.

With the SnS I like to use a raised grate on bricks and cook fat cap up until probe tender (possible wrap near the very end), if the brisket isn't too big. If a big one I run fat cap up until the fat cap is rendered big time, then flip and bark up the top some.

Ya got me hungry for brisket. Hmmmmmm

Comment

Certified Angus works for me, unless I see a Prime for a reasonable price. Keep at it and listen to the advice above and you will figure it out.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate and looking forward to my next long cook

Comment

Preface: I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time.

When I cook brisket I follow these steps:
          1. start with a good brisket, prime or Angus Choice (try Restaurant Depot if you have it) have done well for me. I always make sure it's floppy in the cryo-pack and the flat is as uniformly thick as possible. Think good marbling!
          2. I trim fat to 1/4"-ish across. I remove the hard fat, silver skin and apply my rub. This is any rub from S&P to fancy rubs. I have used binders or no binders, your choice. I find my rub down to do best a couple hours before. Binder or no binder, your call.
          3. I've done H&F once (wow!) and L&S a lot. Both methods worked out well for me. But regardless, I place the fat down, I started that way a long time ago and just haven't seen a reason to change. I guess I feel like it provides insulation to heat sources below.
          4. I always put mine in a crutch, either butcher paper or foil. But I don't wrap until I'm happy with the bark. That could be an internal of 140-170, it really depends on the bark.
          5. I always spray my briskets with a mixture of water and cider vinegar (50:50). Don't know if it helps, but that's what I do.
          6. After it reaches 198-ish, i begin to probe it with my thermometer or toothpick. When it is like warm butter I pull it and put in a faux cam-bro.
          7. I've left them in there up to 2 hrs and no considerable drop in I.T.

These general steps have been applied to my offset cookers, Traeger, WSCGC, PBC, Bubba Keg and Weber Performer w/ SnS. Of course I've had bad ones, but definitely more good ones. I currently cook on a WSCGC and a PBC. I do like the H&F from the PBC, wow that was a good cook!

Good luck!

Comment

I ordered a brisket from Snake River that had an incredible marbled flat. No dryness anywhere. I probably won’t spend $175 on a brisket for a while but better meat means better eating. Just the way it is.

Comment

It sure looks good from here!

Comment

The one thing I find most helpful is to look at what everyone has to say, list what you and they have done different, and try managing one or two changes each time until you find your place in the field.

I did a Walmart select this past weekend that came out VG+. I injected beef broth in ~ 20 spots / ~ 12 lbs (trimmed) after the rub, and then straight onto the @22".

It was in dry brine, salted with Morton's Coarse Kosher (including under the flat flap) for 36 hours.

Comment

You will have to experiment. I almost always get mine from Wally World. I don't inject. I tried a recipe once off the net and it was not nearly as popular as my standard brisket. If I ever inject again it would only be with beef broth as mentioned here. I normally cook mine on a Weber 22" with the SNS. I always spray. Either, water or apple juice or apple cider vinegar. I have used the crutch and no crutch method. If you crutch make sure the bark is where you want it. My recipe is simple: garlic powder, sea or kosher salt, and cracked pepper. I try to get it trimmed and coated and into the fridge for as long as possible and then let come up to room temp before putting it on. I typically rotate it every few hours for a good even cook. I normally do fat side down. There is a really good video on brisket that some guys did on Youtube. If I can find it I will post that. They did fat side up, fat side down, and a crutch test. It was really interesting. Aaron Franklin also has a video on wrapping with foil and butcher paper vs just standard no crutch cooking which is also on Youtube. (I did find them and they are below). All that being said, I guess I have been very fortunate as they have all come out fairly good and reasonably moist. Hope this helps. Brisket can be tricky but you will get there.

https://video.klru.tv/video/bbq-fran...ode-1-brisket/
                  Last edited by Gunderich_1; September 6, 2018, 02:37 PM. Reason: Added Youtube Videos

Comment

In my area Costco has prime briskets at $3.50ish/lb (San Antonio). Our main grocery store has choice for cheaper. Did one this weekend hot and fast and turned out great. around 200 IT start probing. If it feels like warm butter you are done. If you want a harder crust then inject and leave naked (particularly for choice and below). I prefer a softer crust so I generally crutch when it is set (around 160ish). A few hours in the cambro always helped. (this last cook I finished cooking in the oven wrapped in foil. when it was done I left it in the oven and turned it off. waited 2 hours and it was fine). I am still learning and trying different things. This board helps a lot!. I would have to say the best thing about a smoking a brisket is that if it is dry or a bit tough it can be turned into awesome chili. (I'll eat chili anytime of the year).

Comment

Wouldn't worry to much about bark finish, can distract you a bit from the goal of a tender brisket. Remember that for the drier trimmings burnt ends beckon. Also for max smoke adhesion I use a water tray, although not all agree.

If you are seeing wildly different swings in your meat, remember the smoker and potential for hot spots or uneven temp distribution can be a culprit, especially on long cooks.

Finally I regularly use foil especially on the narrow end flat to help regulate cooking time.

Comment

Two thoughts come to mind after reading this thread. First most briskets that are below prime will have a lean flat. Not much you can do but inject. The thinnest portion will dry out, not much you can do about that either. I’ve gotten into the habit of just cutting off the thin end and use it for something else, like QVQ pastrami or grind it into burger meat.

Second, try wrapping in pink butcher paper instead of foil. Foil softens the bark and tends to braise the meat. Paper better preserves that bark and gets you through the crutch.

Experiment with different methods, but don’t get discouraged, practice makes perfect !!

Comment

I never crutch, and mine have been just fine so far, knock on wood. Not that I am against crutching, it is just that by crutch time I have usually had a few adult beverages, and my eyelids are kind of heavy. That's why I love my WSM - once I get it on temp, it allows me to enjoy other pursuits that may involve some fine IPAs.

Of course, I have only done a few briskets, so it may just be beginners luck. They have been choice, except the last on was prime that I got from a local butcher. I also used the Texas BBQ Juice (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice) on the last one, and that definitely had a big effect on the finished product.

Comment

• MeatMonster
                            MeatMonster commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Commentators curse if your next briskets' a brick! 😂

• klflowers
                            klflowers commented
                            Editing a comment
                            @MM, I'll just have to open another IPA and slap another piece of meat on the grill

• MeatMonster
                            MeatMonster commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mmmmmmmm. IPA!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here