Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket vs coullette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket vs coullette

Went to restaurant depot the other day and got what I thought was a brisket. A small one only 12 lbs. didn’t want the 22 plus lbs. found one that looked decent and took it home. Got home found out it wasn’t brisket but coulette. Well looks like a brisket. But wait it’s not. It the top cap to a sirloin. Oh well decide to keep it and serve it to my neighbors who is having a party Sunday for the boy that graduated this year(just an excuse to have a party and me cook I think). The neighbors asked me to cook some chicken and some skirt steak. Told em I have a coulette to cook for em instead.
    After trimming I noticed that the "flat" doesn’t run along the whole bottom like a brisket does. The "point"of the coulette attaches more to the flat with the fat side up.
    Always be careful and inspect the labels to know what meat you are getting.
    I will be dry brining today then cook low and slow to 115 then hot and fast to 135 Sunday morning. Should only take a couple of hours. Then run it over to the neighbors and slice and grill further if needed. I’ll be using the wsm and then the Weber kettle.
    I might cube and skewer some to grill and people can pop into their mouth or slice thin with some onions and peppers.
    In the pics below you can see how it’s easy to mix the two different cuts up
    this one shows the "flat"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B4AC30-F9FA-4A86-BB2D-12799399EE9B.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	559178
    This is the fat top side with the "point" on the right

Name:	BB491056-D344-4CA0-904B-8C3ABDA37704.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	559179
    The “point at the top

Name:	40D66C10-BD37-47EA-82A6-0FED27E4886B.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	559180
    "Point" on the right

Name:	62345E25-8636-4816-A85D-E35EC9444591.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	559181
    Another give away is the direction of the grains
    ill probe both of em when cooking and cut if needed.
    Looks as if it’s gonna be a nice tasty hunk of meat.
    Just thought I’d share
    if anyone has any other ideas of cooking this hunk please by all means chime in

What did the label say it was?

Comment

Coulette. Which after the fact was right next to the brisket

Comment

I have a suspicion you may want to search the site on "picanha", which is very fine cut of beef.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same thing. If it is then Nuke em might have trimmed a little too much fat. Wonderful cut of beef that I need to get another of.

I am having a hard time with this one because this is not a Coulotte (Picanha). A Coulotte is not even part of this muscle group unless I am blind. And I am pretty much!

Comment

What in Brazil is known as Picahna or Punta Trasera in the rest of South America, is what we refer to here in the U.S. as Sirloin Cap. That cut of beef is part of the muscles near the tail, in the upper hindquarters. Brisket is the chest part, or the lower forequarters. I’m still learning, but the photo does look more like a brisket than a picahna to me.
          Ricardo

PS: I found this nice video explaining a bit more about picahna.

Last edited by Ricardo; September 1, 2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

This looks like a small market trim packer brisket to me. Deckel fat removed. I cooked a 12 pounder yesterday. One thing it is not, is a sirloin cap.
            Last edited by lonnie mac; September 1, 2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here