Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib To Go - Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib To Go - Advice please

I've committed to making a prime rib for Monday's Labor Day picnic, and usually reverse sear these. The picnic I'm taking this to is about 40 minutes away, and my crew is notorious for not having any accuracy regarding when we eat.

Further, my kamado grill is not coming with me, and they only have gas grills (think Weber Genesis) available on location - so how would you prep a reverse-seared prime rib under these conditions?

I am thinking that I do the full cook, low-temp to 115, then the sear, on my kamado at home, and then just freshen up the heat on the gas grill 1-2 hours later right before I cut it, but would appreciate any suggestions. I could try slow cooking closer to the target temp, then doing the sear on the gas grills up there, but it always seems like they never get hot enough.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.

I don't know about the grills you will have access to. If it was my gasser I would just get it to 115 at home and sear it at the final location. But if you are concerned it won't be hot enough, perhaps your plan is better.

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
      I don't know about the grills you will have access to. If it was my gasser I would just get it to 115 at home and sear it at the final location. But if you are concerned it won't be hot enough, perhaps your plan is better.
      Thanks, I might try it. Only way to learn, I guess

Comment

I've taken both approaches. I've taken your initial approach, grejon04, if I really don't trust the set up at the location of the party (it's usually a matter of oven/grill space). If you have a good cooler, you could finish at home and then transport it in the cooler. Here is an article on using your cooler.

How do caterers hold cooked meats safely for so long? It's called a hotbox or Cambro and you can make a faux Cambro with a simple beer cooler. It's the secret to resting large cuts of BBQ like brisket, pork butts, and whole turkeys while keeping them warm and transporting them. Here's how to set up a faux Cambo.

Comment

Or - as I keep claiming - if you've got an invertor in your vehicle you can wrap and lay your cook in a tabletop roaster with a warmed towel between the meat and the lid; roaster on low. This Nesco even works on warm with a small 12v utility outlet invertor. The inner pan is removable, so it makes for a better serving situation than a cooler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nesco Table Top.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	559225

Comment

Originally posted by Bumby View Post
            I've taken both approaches. I've taken your initial approach, grejon04, if I really don't trust the set up at the location of the party (it's usually a matter of oven/grill space). If you have a good cooler, you could finish at home and then transport it in the cooler. Here is an article on using your cooler.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-and-save-face
            Bumby Thanks, and that is the plan. Use this all the time for my briskets and shoulders, just had some concern that the rib roast would hold up the same as something like a BBQ.

JGo37 That's a cool idea.

I wasn't trying to make this into a camber/FTC discussion as much as opinions on whether the final sear would hold up well to the time and foil. The more I think on it, it really does depend on whether my old man's grill can get the heat, and my experience in the past is that even a decent gasser like a Weber often can't get grate temps like I prefer for a good sear - so the plan of record as of right now is to slow cook the roast to 120, then let it sit while the kamado gets up to 550+, sear it real good, then into the foil/cooler she goes. When I get up to the picnic, a quick roll on the gasser will freshen up the heat and remove any extra exterior moisture...I'll report back with the results if I blow it.

Comment

I did two for a winery a while back, they got done way early. I wrapped them both in towels stuffed them in the cooler filled with blankets and towels they both held there temps just fine. Bottom line the winery sold the dinners for 55.00 each person everyone raved about the food they had. If I was you I would cook till done sear and all. Double wrapped at least in foil tight wrap in towels and stick in the cooler, enjoy the party and have fun, when everybody raves about the food just say it was nothing and you enjoyed the cook

Here is my cook https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...iled-miserably
              Last edited by customtrim; September 2, 2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here