Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked then Braised Oxtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked then Braised Oxtail

Smoked for 2 hours then braised with Carribean flavors.

Wowzers. Looks awesome!

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      The cool thing about this oxtail is that it is locally raised free range Western Illinois beef. We buy it at a small processing plant where people bring their 1/4 or 1/2 steers in to be fully processed.

The oxtail sells for $3.00 a whole tail.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW! Looks great!

--Ed

Damn Troymeister, you certainly have a way with those tails. I have had a life long love affair with oxtails. My mom and grandma(s) cultivated this in me, I guess. I've never thought of smoking before braising, but I guess its time for this old dog to pursue new tricks..lol Thank you so much for sharing your cook with all of us.

Comment

Nice one, troymeister! I love those caribbean flavors. I'm all for oxtail, but my wife (very) less so. I'd love to try this, and I do all the cooking anyway, which means it will happen. Two questions:

1. Any particular recommendations for how I should cook it?
      2. If you smoke it first, then braise it, doesn't the (indoors) kitchen smell too much of the smoke?

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I put it on the smoker for 2 hours or so with a very light apple wood smoke. Maybe 1 small chunk. Then in the pot with all of the other goodies including 1/2 habanero and butter beans, onion, bell pepper, tomato, thyme, Jamaican curry powder snd some other things. No problems with the smell in the kitchen.

I can post the method later. my wife takes over on this one on the indoor part.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks troymeister. Will definitely try this. Habanero is one of my favorite chili peppers.

WOW< I never considered smoked. Thats awesome.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        "I never considered smoked."

I've never considered, period. My wife refuses to eat the sausage I smoke, cause she found out what the casings are made of. Never mind she still eats ALL the sausage from the store with edible casings.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here