Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please on first Brisket ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please on first Brisket ...

Got my first smoker this summer - have been working up to this - did Salmon, chicken, ribs, pork butt .. now it’s time for Brisket. And of course, to make it really interesting, I invited a dozen folks over to celebrate and partake - this Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. It’s pucker time.

I’ve been studying - really I have, but i’m still unsure when to start the cook to have brisket at dinner time - 6pm Sunday. Suggestions appreciated! Here’s the setup:
    - 15-lb Costco prime full packer in-hand.
    - Traeger Silverton pellet smoker - standing-by.
    - planning to dry-brine for ~12-hrs starting Sat morning.
    - planning to smoke at ~225 until stall (150-170) then crutch, then into faux cambro until dinner.

I’d originally planned to start the cook around midnight Saturday night (allowing 18-hrs end-to-end), but I think I’m sensing the crutch may lob a couple hours off, plus the prime May cook faster as well. I’d hate to try to hold 6+hours. Given the above, when would YOU start the cook, to be ready to eat around 6pm Sunday?

(and of course I know - it’s done when it’s done, but my 1st pork shoulder took 14-hrs and was ready at 11pm - a little later than my hoped-for 7pm. Was worth it though - was delicious.)

Thanks!

Keep in mind that you can hold it in Cambro for quite some time. To assure I wouldn't disappoint anyone, I'd get up ~ 3, get it going, and go back to bed. After the trimming, it'll be interesting to see how many pounds you're left with before starting to cook. If you lose ~ 20 - 30%, I wouldn't start it at midnight.

But it ain't over till it's over...

Comment

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea - makes sense - kinda when I’m starting to settle-in too. Thanks!

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey JGo37, I know my smoker runs a little low, so compromised on the start to 12:30am. In the end, it worked out well since I lost fire for a time, and for this brisket, needed to take it to 205-IT. Time in-smoker was just over 15-hrs. Weight after trim was 9.5-lbs. Appreciate the help - always learning.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did a brisket yesterday and my temps ran 210 - 260, but weren't at either extreme very long at all - mostly in the 220's. 13# took 13.5 hours. I left wrapped in faux Cambro for 4. I wonder if injecting broth keeps it in the stall longer...

Temp after you decide to crutch based on a good dark color. Get a feel for how tender things feel with the temp probe when you crutch. To eat at 6pm I'm starting a Prime at midnight if I am running 225. But then again I'm trying to go as for as I can without crutching. I want at least a 2 hour cambro, and if things are running a tad behind I can wrap at the very end and turn up the heat.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good stuff Jerod - hadn’t thought to base crutch timing more on bark than internal temp. Appreciate your willingness to help!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      obiQsmoker Listen to the man. This guy knows what he’s talking about.
      You’ll be golden. 👊

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard, your advice here was spot-on. So appreciated. Glad I started my cook at 12:30am - Brisket was 147 when sliced at 6:45. And using bark color along with a sense of time needed to drive the crutch worked great. The 2-hr cambro was my target and worked well. Learned a lot - thanks again for the advice.

did my first brisket couple weeks ago got a costco brisket (was just the flat) cooked a little quicker then i thought guessing since it was just the flat, wrapped it up in foil and a towel and out in a cooler and took it out 1.5hr later and was still hot turned out great

Comment

Remember it is not the weight that determines how long but the thickness of the meat. I would go with what Jerod Broussard says as he has been labeled the brisket king around here

Comment

If it looks like it's cooking slow, crutching and/or raising the temp will speed the cook up.

Since you are planning on wrapping, you can delay crutching until after the stall. That will probably add an hour or more, and improve the bark. If you still find the brisket reaching probe tender early, go ahead and cambro it, but leave a probe in the meat. If the temp approaches 150*, put it in the oven set to it's minimum temp, (normally around 170*), but at least 150*. You will be fine.

Personally, I'd go ahead and brine Thur or Fri. As long as you don't use too much salt, it will improve flavor and moisture retention.

One final suggestion - please don't slice until you are ready to serve. Brisket dries out quickly once sliced. At home, I ask guests to bring their plates to me and I slice at meal time. I also save the juices to dip slices from the flat in. Sometimes it's not necessary, but sometimes it is...
      Last edited by RonB; August 29, 2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly what I need to hear - was wondering about timing for the brine, hadn’t thought to keep the probe in during cambro, and waiting to crutch until after the stall - ding! Appreciate the tips!

I just did my first brisket a few weeks ago and had the same pucker feeling going into it as I just got my first smoker as well (the Traeger Pellet Pro 34).

First of all....breathe & relax. It's going to be ok.

Secondly, I think you're good throwing it on around midnight. You can crutch as needed that day if you find yourself falling behind on time. I used butcher paper for my crutch and it tasted great. Haven't used foil so can't speak to that.

Thirdly, I had an slight hiccup on mine where the Traeger pellets didn't feed into the auger for a few minutes. Must've got jammed up and then corrected itself. However, this caused there to be an air pocket with no pellets in the auger and the fire went out. I called Traeger and they said to prevent this from happening, stir the pellets in the hopper every 3-4 hours. I think this happened to me about hour 6 or 7 but to be sure, they said stir every 3-4.

Apart from that mini incident, the brisket came out great. Beautiful smoke ring. Excellent flavor. Everyone was happy. I'm sure yours will come out equally as good if not better. Keep us posted!

Comment

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the tips and advice - thanks! And grats on your brisket as well.

My answer 99% of the time for a 5-6pm dinner brisket or pork butt is always midnight. It’s so nice to get it done and throw it in the cooler and not be stressed out thinking "when is it going to be done?!?!?!" I refuse to ever call Papa Johns again while my pork butt is on the smoker... true story, sigh.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sage advice born of experience - I hear ya. Thanks man!

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Turned-out to be spot-on timing smn1285, I started at 12:30am - felt timing was about perfect. Avoided Papa-John option - priceless. Thanks man!

• smn1285
        smn1285 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re welcome! It looks like you nailed it. Wasn’t it nice to relax from 3:45pm - 6:45pm knowing it was done?!

obiQsmoker I could have written your exact post! This is my first Brisket. I have had a Big Green Egg for 2 years. I have cooked multiple pork shoulders, chickens, ribs, salmon, etc. I am now trying a 13 pound Wago Brisket from Snake River (that I got as a gift).

I am also looking to eat ay 6PM tomorrow (Sunday 9/2/18)!

I was not planning to do the crutch. I will cook at 225. I am OK cooking over night since I use a CyberQ and have done long 24 hours cooks.

I was thinking of starting at 6PM. Does that sound about right?

Also I have been dry brining for 24 hours. Before I apply Big Bad Beef Rub, do I rinse off the brine?

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        After an overnight dry brine, there won't be anything to rinse off. Put the salt on like you would for the table (not too dense a covering). 6pm today is probably a bit early - you'll wind up cambroing for a bunch of hours. 12am should be fine, and a couple hours earlier is unlikely to cause any issues (if you want to get to bed a bit earlier).

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        With that Wagyu, watch your temps - the cook might be shorter than expected.

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey steakwit, looks like we’re on a similar track - crossing fingers and short hairs for us both. Waiting for around 12:30am to start mine. Hoping you might post updates - like to hear how it goes. These folks all helped me immensely - I’ll be posting updates - might as well offer a little entertainment. Hehe.

OK, might as well offer a little entertainment for all your help so here’s how this is going:
      10am Sat: Trimmed and dry-brined - will get ~14-hrs brine time.
      12:30am Sun: BBBR and on to the smoker - Oak, 225. Bed beckons.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	8CB9AC2B-DE2C-4856-93AC-92ADF47732A3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	559595​

6:30am: Looking pretty good. 151-internal - sensing the stall; hasn’t moved in the past half-hour. Will leave as-is a bit longer to develop bark. Will check again around 8am.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	376E05DC-7921-4198-A58D-C0444FE805B6.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	559596​

11am: Internal temp to 167 - bark looks good - crutched and returned to smoker.
      1pm: The sun moved onto the smoker and the temps jumped - Internal at 195 already. A little probing - not done. Checking next at 201 IT.
      1:30pm: fire went out - restarted.
      2:30pm-ish: IT at 201 - not buttah yet.
      3:45: IT at 205 - seems just right. I now get the wubba, wubba! Into the cooler.
      6:45: Dinner time. Decent moisture, pulls apart like it should - super-tender.
      Got rave reviews, especially with the Texas Juice.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	D397D3CC-58D8-4845-86F8-92B336290AF0.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	560253
      A HUGE THANKS to alll of you that fuel this site, offered me tips, and provided encouragement. You’re the best!
      Last edited by obiQsmoker; September 3, 2018, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
        ddmcwhirter commented
        Editing a comment
        Make some thin "mop sauce" for serving. See Meathead's recipe...but it doesn't have to be that involved. Also, for freezing leftovers, we always throw in some mop sauce in the seal a meal package.

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep - got Texas Juice at the ready. Great idea to include w/leftovers. IF we have leftovers.

obiQsmoker I dry brinned for 24 hours. I took it out of the fridge at 6PM to come up to room temp. I applied Big Bad Beef Rub at 7:30 and Got my Egg holding at 225. I used Apple Wood Chunks which I had soaked for 3 hours. I have a deep round pan (which fits perfectly inside the plate setter) filled with water. I typically use apple juice for a Pork Shoulder, but I learned here that Beef does not need the sugar.

Immediately prior to putting it on the Big Green Egg I injected it with Beef Broth. I had only ever previously injected a turkey.

Here are two pics of the 13 pound Brisket going on:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3598.jpg Views:	2 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	559687
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3599.jpg Views:	2 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	559688

Here is a screen shot of my CyberQ. It shows how long the stall lasted:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3607.PNG Views:	1 Size:	587.3 KB ID:	559686

I have not yet opened the lid. The CyberQ with Pit Viper can hold a constant temp for a Long time. Present temp (at Noon) is 198.3. I plan to "hold" it in a cooler for 4 hours. We have people coming over at 4. I originally said come swim at 4, dinner at 6. I suspect that I am going to be closer to dinner at 5pm. I made the mistake of cutting the time too close with Boston Butt for a party, so I will not make that mistake again. It is done when it is done and if that means we eat early, so be it

More pics to come.

Andy

Attached Files
      Last edited by steakwit; September 2, 2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• obiQsmoker
        obiQsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good steakwit! Sounds like you’re not crutching? Anxious to hear about dinner.

@obiQsmoker my Brisket was great. I read on this site that it will look like a meteor. It did. The entire cook was from 8:00PM until 3:15PM. Here is a pic of the brisket when I first took it off the egg.

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	560709

I then "Held" it in a cooler wrapped in tin foil and some towels for 3 hours. Here is it before I cut into it. Everyone was scared since it looked like coal.

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	560711

It was actually great. I missed the money shot of cutting slices since I had a house of hungry people. Here it is plated (on trays I purchased at a restaurant supply store). We served it with 3 types of sausage, pickled veggies, coleslaw, potato salad and other good stuff.

Name:	IMG_3615.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	560708

Here is what was left:

Name:	IMG_3617.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	560710

Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Not much left, eh? ;-)

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        Always like seeing a clean cutting board. Means that you had a good cook!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here