Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please on first Brisket ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Temp after you decide to crutch based on a good dark color. Get a feel for how tender things feel with the temp probe when you crutch. To eat at 6pm I'm starting a Prime at midnight if I am running 225. But then again I'm trying to go as for as I can without crutching. I want at least a 2 hour cambro, and if things are running a tad behind I can wrap at the very end and turn up the heat.

Leave a comment:

• obiQsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Yea - makes sense - kinda when I’m starting to settle-in too. Thanks!

• JGo37
    replied
    Keep in mind that you can hold it in Cambro for quite some time. To assure I wouldn't disappoint anyone, I'd get up ~ 3, get it going, and go back to bed. After the trimming, it'll be interesting to see how many pounds you're left with before starting to cook. If you lose ~ 20 - 30%, I wouldn't start it at midnight.

But it ain't over till it's over...

Leave a comment:

• obiQsmoker
    started a topic Help please on first Brisket ...

Help please on first Brisket ...

Got my first smoker this summer - have been working up to this - did Salmon, chicken, ribs, pork butt .. now it’s time for Brisket. And of course, to make it really interesting, I invited a dozen folks over to celebrate and partake - this Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. It’s pucker time.

I’ve been studying - really I have, but i’m still unsure when to start the cook to have brisket at dinner time - 6pm Sunday. Suggestions appreciated! Here’s the setup:
    - 15-lb Costco prime full packer in-hand.
    - Traeger Silverton pellet smoker - standing-by.
    - planning to dry-brine for ~12-hrs starting Sat morning.
    - planning to smoke at ~225 until stall (150-170) then crutch, then into faux cambro until dinner.

I’d originally planned to start the cook around midnight Saturday night (allowing 18-hrs end-to-end), but I think I’m sensing the crutch may lob a couple hours off, plus the prime May cook faster as well. I’d hate to try to hold 6+hours. Given the above, when would YOU start the cook, to be ready to eat around 6pm Sunday?

(and of course I know - it’s done when it’s done, but my 1st pork shoulder took 14-hrs and was ready at 11pm - a little later than my hoped-for 7pm. Was worth it though - was delicious.)

Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here