Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please on first Brisket ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    After an overnight dry brine, there won't be anything to rinse off. Put the salt on like you would for the table (not too dense a covering). 6pm today is probably a bit early - you'll wind up cambroing for a bunch of hours. 12am should be fine, and a couple hours earlier is unlikely to cause any issues (if you want to get to bed a bit earlier).

• steakwit
    replied
    obiQsmoker I could have written your exact post! This is my first Brisket. I have had a Big Green Egg for 2 years. I have cooked multiple pork shoulders, chickens, ribs, salmon, etc. I am now trying a 13 pound Wago Brisket from Snake River (that I got as a gift).

I am also looking to eat ay 6PM tomorrow (Sunday 9/2/18)!

I was not planning to do the crutch. I will cook at 225. I am OK cooking over night since I use a CyberQ and have done long 24 hours cooks.

I was thinking of starting at 6PM. Does that sound about right?

Also I have been dry brining for 24 hours. Before I apply Big Bad Beef Rub, do I rinse off the brine?

Thanks,

Andy

Leave a comment:

• obiQsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Sage advice born of experience - I hear ya. Thanks man!

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    obiQsmoker Listen to the man. This guy knows what he’s talking about.
    You’ll be golden. 👊

• smn1285
    replied
    My answer 99% of the time for a 5-6pm dinner brisket or pork butt is always midnight. It’s so nice to get it done and throw it in the cooler and not be stressed out thinking "when is it going to be done?!?!?!" I refuse to ever call Papa Johns again while my pork butt is on the smoker... true story, sigh.

Leave a comment:

• customtrim
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod Broussard

• obiQsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Duly noted - thanks!

• obiQsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Good stuff Jerod - hadn’t thought to base crutch timing more on bark than internal temp. Appreciate your willingness to help!

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Mis-labeled.

• obiQsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Exactly what I need to hear - was wondering about timing for the brine, hadn’t thought to keep the probe in during cambro, and waiting to crutch until after the stall - ding! Appreciate the tips!

• obiQsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Appreciate the tips and advice - thanks! And grats on your brisket as well.

• panteracfh3
    replied
    I just did my first brisket a few weeks ago and had the same pucker feeling going into it as I just got my first smoker as well (the Traeger Pellet Pro 34).

First of all....breathe & relax. It's going to be ok.

Secondly, I think you're good throwing it on around midnight. You can crutch as needed that day if you find yourself falling behind on time. I used butcher paper for my crutch and it tasted great. Haven't used foil so can't speak to that.

Thirdly, I had an slight hiccup on mine where the Traeger pellets didn't feed into the auger for a few minutes. Must've got jammed up and then corrected itself. However, this caused there to be an air pocket with no pellets in the auger and the fire went out. I called Traeger and they said to prevent this from happening, stir the pellets in the hopper every 3-4 hours. I think this happened to me about hour 6 or 7 but to be sure, they said stir every 3-4.

Apart from that mini incident, the brisket came out great. Beautiful smoke ring. Excellent flavor. Everyone was happy. I'm sure yours will come out equally as good if not better. Keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    If it looks like it's cooking slow, crutching and/or raising the temp will speed the cook up.

Since you are planning on wrapping, you can delay crutching until after the stall. That will probably add an hour or more, and improve the bark. If you still find the brisket reaching probe tender early, go ahead and cambro it, but leave a probe in the meat. If the temp approaches 150*, put it in the oven set to it's minimum temp, (normally around 170*), but at least 150*. You will be fine.

Personally, I'd go ahead and brine Thur or Fri. As long as you don't use too much salt, it will improve flavor and moisture retention.

One final suggestion - please don't slice until you are ready to serve. Brisket dries out quickly once sliced. At home, I ask guests to bring their plates to me and I slice at meal time. I also save the juices to dip slices from the flat in. Sometimes it's not necessary, but sometimes it is...
    Last edited by RonB; August 29, 2018, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• customtrim
    replied
    Remember it is not the weight that determines how long but the thickness of the meat. I would go with what Jerod Broussard says as he has been labeled the brisket king around here

Leave a comment:

• SWAMPER-RICK
    replied
    did my first brisket couple weeks ago got a costco brisket (was just the flat) cooked a little quicker then i thought guessing since it was just the flat, wrapped it up in foil and a towel and out in a cooler and took it out 1.5hr later and was still hot turned out great

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here