Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have really done it now.....suits me right for showing my pics to a few friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    Amen to that! MAK will do you good.

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    Bet you could trim 5 lbs of fat of that hunk of beef!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    dmcneil be sure to not put the probe in the fat layer between the flat and point, and just center it as well as you can in the thickest part of the flat itself. Set your high temp alarm for 195F, and start checking for doneness at that point. If its prime beef it seems to finish sooner than choice.

• Mudkat
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like good times! Right up my alley!

• dmcneil
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris I agree about the knife. I have a Dalstrong Shogun boning knife and I love it.
    Take a look at Dalstrong's Shogun Series 6” boning knife - a masterfully engineered tool for deboning beef, pork, and more. Free US shipping.

Thanks for the advice on where to put the probe. I was wondering about that.

• dmcneil
    commented on 's reply
    Mudkat it was on sale for $2.99/lb. Not too bad especially since I am getting reimbursed by my poker friends who will in turn try to take it back from me at the table. ;-)

• Mosca
    replied
    Lots of good advice. The MAK is a great tool, let it do its work.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    As far as drying out, the size/temp ratio will be the same, so don't mess with it. Anywhere from 225 to 275 is fine. I've injected and not injected; it certainly won't hurt anything.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Agree! It's still a brisket.

• jfmorris
    replied
    As others have said, cooking 20 pounds is no different than cooking a smaller one - just may take a little longer. That said - I will bet once you trim the fat on that bad boy that it will end up at least several pounds lighter! I find a good filleting knife or boning knife to be of great assistance in the trimming. I usually pull 2 to 3 pounds off the bigger briskets I've bought.

If it is USDA Prime beef, start checking it for probe tender at 195F in the thickest part of the flat. That is the spot to put your leave-in probe as well.

Glad to see you have the MAK 1 Star, and have room to cook both that and the butt at the same time!

Leave a comment:

• Mudkat
    replied
    Ditto what everyone said here. Remember, you can hold it for hours in a cooler cambro so just start a little earlier and hold it longer if it's done sooner than you thought. Hope you win big. That puppy must of cost a lot!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Personally I try to pick briskets for their leanness (always a ton of fat but get one manageable), flexibility and shape. That's something we don't talk a lot about here but the more uniform the shape the more even it will cook. You get one with a high point and a real thin flat end and you got a challenge on your hands from the get go.

You will be fine with your big prize. Trim her down to about 16-17# and just go for it. Make sure you give her a lot of love and a good rest (my wife would love to hear me say that to her !!) . Good luck and let us see the outcome !!!

Leave a comment:

• dmcneil
    commented on 's reply
    Henrik I have a MAK 1 Star. I was thinking of cooking a little hotter but I was concerned about drying it out. I will inject so hopefully that will help.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Great point. My last one (the reason I hate cryovaced anything) was about 15# and by the time I cut out all the deckle fat I was done to about 11#. Worst I've ever had. That big brisket gonna shrink some.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    The big whole packers from Costco usually have at least 2 to 3 pounds of hard fat that needs to be trimmed off. So you'll see a little shrinkage there. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here