Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have really done it now.....suits me right for showing my pics to a few friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeffJ
    replied
    Cooking a 20 pound brisket really is not much different than cooking a 13 pounder. It might take a bit longer but the process is the same.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Great write up! Ya got this - just give yourself plenty of time. A brisket can take a long time in a cambro.

Leave a comment:

• kbremer
    replied
    That story was great!!! You will be fine

Leave a comment:

• Nuke em
    replied
    Go big or go home. You are living flesh. The brisket, not so much. See, ya already have 1 leg up on it. You will do fine. When it’s all said and done you’ll still be the man.
    Your either on the porch with the big dogs or under it. I have faith everyone will admire your big hunk of meat when you show it to em.
    Im still debating if I want to see pics or not...

Leave a comment:

• JGo37
    replied
    You need a contingency plan. I play monthly Texas Hold'em with a group that averages ~ 24, and we that can take turns hosting. I host 4-5 times a year. I also take on smoking challenges, but I always smoke a big lamb roast slow too, and 10 pounds of beans in a cast iron roaster. Just sayin'... have an extra choice or two of what you do best, and you have no worries...

But I have faith - smoke that cow.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Well written post, put a smile on my face! Don’t worry, you got this. Which grill/smoker are you gonna use? Wrapping is good to shave off a few hours. You could also cook that behemoth at 260 deg F to save some time, it can take it. You go man!

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    You got this. There is nothing like a little pressure to bring out the best in you. I know this from experience.

Leave a comment:

• obiQsmoker
    replied
    OMG - ROFLOL! I’m cooking my first brisket Sunday - a 15-pounder, so I’m no help, but dude, you made me laugh! Thanks for that - and good luck with the cook. I’m anxious to hear how it went.

Leave a comment:

• I have really done it now.....suits me right for showing my pics to a few friends

I showed some friends my pics of my cooks since I joined the ranks of this crazy group. My friends were pretty amazed that a newbie could have such success and I was a little prideful. A few have smokers and they were impressed with my results. I was feeling good.

I have played poker for the last 8 years with this group and every year we celebrate my birthday and a good friend's birthday on Labor Day weekend with a big poker game. Today I got a call pleading with me to cook a brisket and a pork butt for our Sunday party. I tried to talk them into two pork butts since I know I can cook them but they really wanted the brisket. I have only cooked one brisket and it turned out amazing....so I said okay. Now my reputation and manhood is on the line.

The local store is having a very good sale leading up to Labor Day, however, when I went to the store today they were sold out except for two behemoth 20 pound briskets. For 5 minutes I looked at the colossal piece of beef and my confidence shrunk. My first brisket was only 13 pounds but this must have come from a cow the size of Texas.

I put it in my cart along with my minuscule 10 pound pork butt and walked toward the check out as everyone parted the isle to get a better look at the biggest piece of meat this side of the Mississippi. I am not a big guy and the women were wondering if I was going to be able to lift it out of the cart. After manhandling the package onto the counter the high school football player bagger looked at me and then at the meat and said..."do you need some help out with that?" Kids these days.

It is now in the refrigerator and every time I open the door I look at that thing and wonder...what have I done?

Don't worry....I won't ask how long it will take to cook. I know it will take a long time and I will cook it until it is done. But....I am looking for any advice on cooking something this big. I plan on wrapping in foil at 160 or so mostly because I don't really want to cook it for 24 or 25 hours.

I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here