Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flank Steak: How Do You Get .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flank Steak: How Do You Get .....

Your very picky 15 year old teen girl to ask you to make that again? I never quite know the answer, so I experiment sometimes ..... and what I did this time was flank steak with a board sauce

Flank steak prep - straight from the butcher shop to the kitchen counter, liberally salted with kosher salt and dry brined for about 6 hours

Grill prep - fired up a full chimney of Kingsford Pro ... I wanted a ton of heat in my Hasty-Bake when it came time for the searing :-)

Board sauce prep

Fresh sage leaves, thyme, rosemary, basil, jalapeno - from my garden, but you could buy at the grocery store, too
    EVOO
    Fresh ground pepper
    rough chop the pepper (I de-seeded), sage, basil, thyme, rosemary
    Put it all in a coffee cup, add some ground pepper, then add enough EVOO to barely cover the herbs, stir it together
    Can sit in the fridge or on the counter while cooking. Let the flavors blend a bit and get bright

I cooked the flank steak to medium (cause the girls will just microwave it if I don't), then do a really quick, hot sear after painting with olive oil or beef love

as the steak is searing, I poured out the board sauce on my cutting board
    Then did the standard board sauce routine, coated both sides of the steak on top of the board sauce, then sliced into 1/4" slices ... then I rolled all the slices in the board sauce and served.

Served with broccoli, some wild sockeye that I grilled, and parmesan couscous. I put some of the board sauce on the couscous, too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1283.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	556368Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1285.jpg Views:	1 Size:	909.0 KB ID:	556369Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1284.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	556372Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1286.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	556371Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1287.jpg Views:	1 Size:	678.5 KB ID:	556370

I should mention that said picky teen girl asked me to please cook this again soon and she didn't put her steak in the microwave and turn it grey

Comment

Yeah buddy, let's have some of that!!! Looks killer!

Comment

Now that's what I'm talking about !! Explanation of his cook, brief recipe on the board sauce, his cooking technique and great photo finish !! Bravo ecowper !!!

Surf & Turf Baby !!!!

Comment

I am actually a fan of flank being cooked medium vs. medium rare which is how I like most of my other steaks. It is still plenty tender and juicy assuming you cut it properly across the grain.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I like it medium rare, but my wife and one of the two girls prefers their steak medium to medium well. you're right, though. Flank steak is plenty tender/juicy at medium, even a bit more than medium.

Nice write-up. I have a frozen flank in the freezer for future fiery finishing.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            If you happen to catch a couple trout on the Klamath, they would go fabulous with that flank steak :-)

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Rebuilding the back deck in anticipation of the arrival of the WSCG, so no fishing for me.

Nice man. Need to try this.

Comment

Congrats on pleasing a picky eater - it ain't easy...

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              that picky eater thing .... drives me crazy ... she didn't touch the couscous or salmon, but ate the steak and broccoli .... I'm okay with that

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              My mother solved that problem by saying "Here's dinner - eat it or not.". But even that did not work all the time...

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB yeah and I have to balance that with her being an athlete and needing tons of calories .... so letting her go hungry would probably not work out very well, physically

Really great looking cook It's been a while since I did a board sauce. Yours looks delicious. Will have to come up with something for this weekend.

Comment

I started doing flank steak awhile back; now I just need to add the board sauce. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve, I think that board sauce took it from yum to killer .... first time I'd ever done that with flank steak

That's my kind of surf 'n turf!!

Comment

Great write-up! I do appreciate it when people make me smarter with full recipes and good pics. Unfortunately, the closest trout is 4 hours away until winter. (hey - just remembered I have a couple in the deep!) I'm going to try this soon!

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  trout, sockeye, King, steelhead ... any of that would work ... I don't think a white fish can stand up to the beefiness of the flank steak

That looks great, ecowper. Glad to see you back to grilling. And thanks for the write up. I don't tend to use a lot of board sauces but clearly I should start.

Comment

Lovely! Flank is the perfect match for a board sauce, I do it all the time. Your cook looks great!

Comment

I have Flank Steak in the freezer and after your post I feel inspired. I've never done one before. Thank you!

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      enjoy! I didn't include the "how I cooked it" ... but that's easy. I do a typical reverse sear. I like the sear to be really fast/hot, thus using a ton of Kingsford Pro. on the kettle, with the SnS, you can get the same outcome.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here