Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoked chuck roast, pulled beef BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoked chuck roast, pulled beef BBQ

so got my smoker little over a month ago and so far having a blast did a pork shoulder turned out great, then did ribs and that was no so good but learned a lot, then did a brisket and was great did some fish and chicken as well, question is want to smoke a chuck roast for some pulled beef BBQ was wondering what temp to smoke it at 250* ? and as for rub should i just use salt/pepper ? and what internal temp would you pull it off at ?

thanks for the help

I personally use the same rub I use on brisket (right now my favorite is Oak Ridge Black Ops) but salt and course black pepper is always simple and very tasty. I usually cook my chuck roasts between 250-275 until I get a good bark (usually between 150-160) and then I wrap tightly and cook until it probes like butter. Temp usually ends up being 205-210. It really is a poor man’s brisket point (although meat prices say otherwise).

Comment

• scottdware
      scottdware commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be doing one this weekend for the first time, great tips! And I'm with you, the Black Ops rub is one of my favorites that I use on all the brisket I do! Cheers!

No photos it didn’t happen

Comment

Montreal steak seasoning works well for this. Or salt/pepper/garlic. You really have to cook the hell out of a chuck roast to make it pullable. Get it to about 210 IT and keep it there for an hour or so. Then hold in a cooler or warm oven for at least a couple of hours, the longer the better. Enjoy!

Comment

You're gonna like pulled chuckie. Brine at least 3 hours, overnight is better. I cook between 235 - 250 until probe tender which has been between 205 - 210. I use BBBR rub. I wrap with beef broth after the stall or 170'ish. I like Meatheads sweet and sour coleslaw recipe to go with it. Have fun and enjoy!

Comment

thanks for the info, i did see one write up where a guy did just that with the broth and he added some onions and wrapped it up good. will let you all know how it goes

Comment

well went to local butcher and he cleaned up a 8lb chuck roast for me and she went on the smoker Saturday and my wife made a bourbon bbq sauce both turned out great
            Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds and looks great!

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
            I personally use the same rub I use on brisket (right now my favorite is Oak Ridge Black Ops) but salt and course black pepper is always simple and very tasty. I usually cook my chuck roasts between 250-275 until I get a good bark (usually between 150-160) and then I wrap tightly and cook until it probes like butter. Temp usually ends up being 205-210. It really is a poor man’s brisket point (although meat prices say otherwise).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	93mURZc7Q9KK058OuG5+aA.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	567187 Thats what I did yesterday

Comment

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I must have missed your invitation to join you?

• Thom Emery
              Thom Emery commented
              Editing a comment
              😃👍👌

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here