Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I dry brine brisket for 2.5 days before cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I dry brine brisket for 2.5 days before cooking?

I want to do a brisket for a party but I'm gone 2 days before on a business trip. Is this too long of a time?

Not at all, more time will only allow the salt to disburse more evenly, I'd say for a thick brisket it might even be best to give it that much time.

Comment

Agree. Brisket is a thick piece of meat. There is a point where the salt stops penetration but to leave it beyond that should not hurt a thing. I've gone 48 hours routinely.

Comment

I have. As long as you measure the salt precisely so you don’t use too much it should be fine.

Coldest part of the of the fridge would would be best.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; August 27, 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Not too long, I can't remember the exact rate of absorption of salt but I know I've done 3 days and it worked out great. I know meathead has an article about dry brining and somewhere I read at some point that even after 24 hours the salt won't penetrate an inch. I think you'll be perfectly fine dry brining 2 days in advance.

Comment

Travel on my friend.

Comment

much obliged everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by guycalleddave View Post
                I want to do a brisket for a party but I'm gone 2 days before on a business trip. Is this too long of a time?
                I've dry brined briskets ~24 hours, I don't see where 48 would hurt. Good luck

Comment

Nope, not to long. When ya get back, we want some pics.

Comment

I believe that Jerod Broussard routinely dry brines everything 2+ days

Comment

When I buy meat, even meat that is destined for the freezer, I dry brine it right away. The pork butt I smoked for my son's grad party was dry-brined about a month before the party. The meat came out great.

Comment

I like at least 2 days. On cheap Selects that have flats that look so bad they would murder their mothers, I like to go three days.

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hahahahaha, that is the best description I have ever heard for a briz!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here