Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Preparation

I’m doing the food for my daughters rehearsal dinner. I will be doing pulled pork and brisket.
    Since the venue is 2 1/2 hours away, and with all the other demands of getting things set up for the rehearsal and wedding I will be doing my cook Wednesday and Thursday. So am I better off leaving my brisket whole and reheating it to 140* then slicing it, or slicing it after it rests then reheating prior to service.

From what you describe I'd say no reheating necessary. I say schedule it best you can to pull it off the smoker RIGHT as you're ready to leave for the drive. Then hold it "faux cambro" style (wrapped in double layer foil, wrapped in layers of towels, in pre-heated beer cooler) during your drive. It should still be plenty above 140 by 2.5hrs later. Then slice her up when you arrive! I highly advise against slicing then reheating later. That's a recipe for drier-than-it-needs-to-be brisket.

Comment

I just had that deal yesterday and today. Cooked a whole packer yesterday but had an event that I was bringing a few pounds to today. I sliced what I wanted to eat yesterday and brought over the rest whole today. I sliced before reheating though as I was right next to a grill at the party. I ate both and both were really tasty.

In your case I’d reheat and slice there if possible. I think it’s more important to slice as close to chow time as opposed to when it’s cold or hot.

Comment

If you do slice store with juices they can be reheated with. I much prefer to leave whole until "go time."

Comment

Huskee is DEAD ON!!!! We use our cooler a lot and even at 2 1/2 hours away...….it will still test your hands on warmth.

Comment

I second, er, third Huskee. I’ve cambroed a brisket for four hours and still had to wear insulated gloves to handle that thing. IMHO, I would also vent that brisket for about 10-15 minutes to let some steam out before double foiling or it’ll keep cooking. And save those juices - pour over the brisket after you slice it (but you probably already know that).

Comment

I have held pork butts and briskets for over 12 hours in a Cambro and it is still hovering around the 140 mark. Grant it mine are the real Cambro cabinets that will hold better than a cooler but you should easily be able to get the cooler and towels to hold for a couple hours at least.

Pulled pork you can do weeks ahead of time and vac seal freeze then rewarm in a crock pot or roaster pan. Just add a little moisture when reheating.

Comment

Please read carefully people. The OP is smokin' 2 - 3 days before the event, so cambro-ing won't work.

Brisket dries out quickly, so slice as close to serving time as possible. At home, I have people come to the "carving station" and I slice to order.

Use an aluminum pan to catch the drippings to add back to the meat when served. Put enough water in the pan so that it doesn't dry out. If there is too much water in the pan when you pull the meat off the smoker, you can always boil it down until it tastes right.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good eye

Rehearsal dinner statrted
                Attached Files

Comment

What they said.

Comment

Good eye, er burger, or whatever they said.

Comment

Transport it whole and save/bring the juices if you can.

Whether you reheat then slice or slice and reheat depends on how much time you have at the event to heat it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here