Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused by website brisket recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused by website brisket recipe

So i am very new to smoking. I have never made a brisket but i bought a prime brisket to smoke and i have been looking over this website's brisket recipe. there is one thing that i am confused about.

looking at the bullet points it is Trim, pump, rub, ...

it says to pump the meat with beef broth, then in the rub section it says salt the meat 12 to 1 hour before. so do i pump it then salt it? do i dry it out before i salt it then? am i supposed to salt it then pump it and then put the rub on? it mentions the beef broth provides the salt so do i not salt it and it is talking about the rub being put on 12 to hours before? i'm a little confused about these steps. clarification would be great.

If you inject with beef broth, it should be fine to use a little salt to dry brine. Lotta times the meat is fine, the drippings might be a little salty.

I don't bother injecting anymore. I just dry brine with 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt per pound overnight, then throw the rub on right before I put her on the pit.

Comment

• dprice
      dprice commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you, Jerod. I've done it both ways, and I've never noticed any significant difference, so I'm off the injecting bandwagon.

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
    So i am very new to smoking. I have never made a brisket but i bought a prime brisket to smoke and i have been looking over this website's brisket recipe. there is one thing that i am confused about.

it says to pump the meat with beef broth, then in the rub section it says salt the meat 12 to 1 hour before. so do i pump it then salt it? do i dry it out before i salt it then? am i supposed to salt it then pump it and then put the rub on? it mentions the beef broth provides the salt so do i not salt it and it is talking about the rub being put on 12 to hours before? i'm a little confused about these steps. clarification would be great.
    MH may need to update the executive summary. He changed the recipe recently and incorporated a dry brine step.

​I agree with Jerod you don't really need to inject, but if you do... I'd dry brine 12 hours prior to throwing the brisket on the smoker, then inject with low sodium broth in the morning an hour or so before throwing it on the smoker.

The main thing is just give the salt some time to soak into the meat before you inject, or you risk rinsing off all your salt.

​Brisket takes a long time to cook. If you're not adept at maintaining low temps (225F recommended) you should practice a dry run before trying to cook a prime whole packer. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post

Listen to these guys! I did my first whole packer last weekend following the recipe on here, except I didn't inject. Other than my color going too dark, the cook was a success. You will NOT go wrong if you listen to MH!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave I think your brisket looks GREAT!

• _Keith
        _Keith commented
        Editing a comment
        That may be the prettiest smoke ring I've ever seen

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Almost looks painted on. My first didn't look near that good. I do see where you said tenderness was there, I was a little worried by the picture but I can understand, pictures of my cooks never look good.

Thanks Aaron! I was shooting for a little less dark. More mahogany. Flavor and tenderness was there for sure!

Comment

WOW! Thanks Keith!

Comment

Thank you John!

Comment

Yessir. That's real Q!

Comment

I have only smoked the flat, never a whole brisket. I always inject, used to be with apple juice, now with low salt beef broth. After injecting, I pat the meat dry, put on some oil and the rub (have been using Dizzy Pigs Cowboy rub with turbinado for years). It sits in the fridge over night under waxed paper which doesn't pull the rub off. Smoke with oak with some pecan and maybe apple or cherry. I crutch with more broth.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here