Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Please: Best Way To Start Low & Slow Then Raise Temp For Searing Using Lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please: Best Way To Start Low & Slow Then Raise Temp For Searing Using Lump

I'm going to try Meathead's "Better Than Steakhouse Steak" recipe tonight using lump charcoal and the SnS. Planning to start with 1/2 chimney to grill indirect to 110 or so internal, but I'm not sure how to generate the high heat for the sear. Pour hot coals over fresh lump up front so the combo reaches searing temp when needed? Mound hot coals next to fresh for the same result? Put the grilled steaks aside, top the hot coals with fresh and wait until the combo catches? I know I can light a fresh chimney and add it, but that exposes our patio to hot coals when I pour it in, so I prefer not--or is that worth the risk? Thanks!

I don't use lump - I get enough lumps from my wife. However 12 to 15 Kingsford briquettes is enough to get you to "low" - ~ 225*. So with lump, a half a chimney may be too much on a standard Weber kettle. I'd shoot for a double handfull of lump and check the temp. You should be able to get to 225* from there by either adding a few more lumps, or adjusting the vents. But don't ask my wife to give you a few more lumps - she's an experet...

Then add a full chimney of lit lump for the sear. Just thinking about it has my mouth watering...

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot-on, RonB. I'm testing with a low half-chimney (2 of the 3 holes consistently exposed) & the grate temp blew past 250 in 5 mins & peaked at 362 @ 20 mins. More work required!

If you have a fan, or a BBQ Dragon, you can get a good searing fire going in 5 minutes with lump. Pile some fresh stuff on the fire, and hit it with the Dragon. A heat gun or hair dryer would also work.

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea, which I'll pursue. Thanks.

Start with 15-20 lit coals. Put the steaks in partially frozen. If you elevate the steaks a bit you'll get some really good color on the exterior before going to sear. When the steaks get to about 75-80 degrees internal, light 3/4 full chimney. Pull the steaks when they hit 115 and add your lit coals to the SnS. Sear each side twice for about a minute per side (4 minutes total) and you should end up with a perfect medium rare with a great sear.

Comment

To switch gears you’ll need a fan.

I usually just sear over a chimney, so I can put something else in the smoke or save the coals since it takes about as long to get the low and slow pile up to searing temp as it does to fire a chimney. I did recently did lamb chops low and slow and seared over a chimney to finish.

Lodge has a steel steel table that’s nice for dealing with chimneys, Dutch ovens etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3823D17A-68D8-43DF-A0F0-533675D75AD3.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	556245Click image for larger version

Name:	6D16C26E-5449-46D6-8C1B-1CC7C9CAE8B4.png
Views:	71
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	556242

Name:	BB4C1CF7-4AFA-4123-8652-E998B669B7B2.png
Views:	70
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	556244

Name:	159EBAD2-6739-4DE4-9D2A-34A6A7453658.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	556241

Attached Files

Comment

It depends on the thickness of the steak too. If an inch and a half or less I sear up front using Dave's Cold Grate Method then slide off indirect for a few minutes to bring up the temp to 130ish. IF you don't want to dump in new coals, you can start with a full basket with 250 vent settings to get the steak up to temp, pull for a bit while the coals fully ignite with lid off and bottom vents open, pat the steak dry, add a little oil and sear. Third you could start a chimney and sear on that without dumping into the SNS.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here