Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Did I do Wrong? Seeking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Did I do Wrong? Seeking Advice

Hi All

So I went ahead and tried to make Meathead's Texas Beef Brisket but I used a 4lb hunk of flat instead of the recommended 12+.

I set up an old Weber Genesis, smoke box and water pan and cooked it at 225 (indirect heat) until the meat hit 205 for approx 5 hours. By the time I got to the last hour of cooking I didnt like how much the brisket shrunk down in relation to how many more degrees I needed to get to the 205. But I figured I should trust my thermometer. So by the time I hit 205, I pretty much had a slab of beef jerky. The flavor was fantastic but tender it was not.

Curious what I could've done wrong? I'm thinking I didn't have the thermometer placed properly?

Anyways, I'll try again soon but wondering what I should look out for next time.

Rob

Welcome robsk102! My guess is you didn't let it go long enough. It was most likely tough like jerky because it didn't have enough time to melt the fats & collagen and get soft & juicy & delicious. Yep, they shrink something fierce, but don't let that sway you. Flats will always be relatively dry, it's just the muscle. And flats will typically take as long as a whole packer. If you think about it, the flat part of a whole packer is on the smoker the whole time regardless. Usually a flat will still take in the 8 to 12hr range. Did you leave a fat cap on one side?

Comment

• robsk102
      robsk102 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the welcome Huskee. I figured I went with a tough cut also. I was only cooking for me and my wife so a whole packer seemed a bit much for 2 people. I did leave a fat cap on the side facing up, although I trimmed it down substantially. So even though the meat was dry, I should've let it go longer? BTW I forgot to mention I did let it sit in a faux cambro for about 45 min.

Welcome to the trials of brisket. My humble viewpoint is that once you are getting around 190 temp doesn’t mean a thing. That is when I start probing the meat so that when the probe easily slides in without much resistance, like going into butter, it is done and I pull it. I also look for jiggle. One other thing I might suggest is that you consider injecting for additional moisture before starting the cook. I use beef broth. Especially on a flat or other small brisket it seems to help with moistness.

Comment

• robsk102
      robsk102 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Donw. Yeah, I'll look for those things next time. There will be a next time!!! I'm determined to get this right. I've cooked brisket in the oven before, usually sitting in a beer/chili sauce bath which keeps it nice and moist (that might be more like a pot roast). So i'll definitely consider the beef broth injections next time.

If you have a good instant read thermometer you might want to start checking a bit earlier. That will let you test multiple spots and the probe of the thermometer will also give you a feel for how tender it is.

Comment

• robsk102
      robsk102 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks jgreen. So funny thing is that I was obsessing over the temp. I just bought the BlueDot from Thermoworks and was excited about the bluetooth sync with my phone. Then I realized that I placed the Weber too far out of range so I ended up checking the temp every 30 minutes on the external display. Technology!!

When cooking a flat only, and a small one also, I would definitely wrap it (The Texas Crutch) after the stall. That makes a big difference. I usually don’t wrap briskets myself, as I cook whole packers, but when doing flats only it really helps.

Comment

• Scout789
      Scout789 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pre digital thermometers, I always wrapped to ensure tenderness. I've never tried doing a flat only, largely because I don't care for the flat. I much prefer the point. Much juicier, more tender and better taste. Cook the whole thing and give the part you don't to a friend.

• robsk102
      robsk102 commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, good suggestion. Thanks Henrik!!

Scout789 I need to look for the point next time. My local grocery typically doesnt have it and a true butcher is about 35 minutes away from me. I'll have to make the drive.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      The POINT is where it's AT, my man!!!! I've done a couple of flats only and did not care for them. One was jerky like you are talking about and one was just dry. I have lived and learned and I do whole packers now, and I love doing them sous vide. It can't be beat! Got one going right now, at 130°F for 3 days... 1 day to go!

I second Henrik's advice. I always wrap mine, and after the stall (roughly 170-180) like he recommends. Then once your brisket hits 195-205, remove it form the cooking heat and let it hold "faux cambro" style for a good hour, up to 3 or 4 hrs even, to further soften. Add this time into your process so dinner is still on time. Better to be done 2 hrs early than 2hrs late.

Comment

I think you kind of answered your own question in the second half of the first sentence. Not saying it can't be done, but I would never expect a 4 lb piece of flat to cook the same way as a 12+ pounder. If you do go with the smaller chunk again, I would inject with beef broth and wrap after the bark has formed..

Comment

• robsk102
        robsk102 commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks Steve R. Too bad I didnt have a magic formula that converts a 12lb recipe down to 4lb.

What grade of meat did you use? With brisket, especially a flat, you definitely want to go with choice or prime. Anything less than that is most likely going to come out flawed. Also, prime briskets tend to be at their best at 195.

Comment

• robsk102
        robsk102 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good question JeffJ - I'm really not sure what grade of meat it was. I'll be aware of it next time

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        At my local grocery, all they carry is "Select" briskets. I won't touch them with a 10 foot pole!

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier my local grocery store only carries Choice flats (no full packers). Fortunately our nearby Cosctco frequently carries Prime packers for $2.99 per pound, which is a steal.

totally agree with the wrap. Like they say, you don't wrap, you don't win. Also keep in mind the shrinkage on brisket. Usually 40% gets cooked off. Thus 4lb to start and the 2lb that was left.

Comment

• robsk102
        robsk102 commented
        Editing a comment
        kbremer good saying to keep in mind. I was so surprised to see how much shrinkage there was.

One other thing to consider - if you are going to go with such a small flat, consider going with a chuck roast instead. They are easier to prep, are more forgiving and the results are nearly indistinguishable.

Comment

Also after pulling at the temp or tenderness you are going for, let it vent for about ten minutes before putting it into your cooler or Cambro..if not, it will keep cooking for awhile, you're looking to render the colligen and fat while in the cooler without further cooking the meat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here