Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Short Brisket Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Short Brisket Cook

14lb prime packer went on the Traeger running 250 at 0615. The last one I did I started temp checking after 8 hours and it was DONE, so I started checking this one after 6 hours and it was 180ish just about everywhere and starting to soften up noticeably. I let it go and after 2 more hours it was averaging 194, probe-tender, and wubbaly. Pulled it off, wrapped/cambro'd and served 2 1/2 hours later. It was as good as I have ever done and our guests were oohing, ahhing, and wowing! Sliced like a dream and then cut it with a fork. Super moist and tender, like we like it. I will also give another shameless plug to our pit-brother Henrik for his beef rub. Everyone at the table commented on it's uniqueness and how much they liked it. Sorry Meathead, but BBBR and Cow Crust have lost a notch to the Swedish Nightmare (Henrik's wrestling name). BTW, I'm sure you all know what brisket looks like so I'll forego the pics.

What a great review, thanks for sharing! Made my day, I'll tell you.

Not only that, but I finally have a cool wrestling name to start touring with! I've done plenty weight lifting and I've played rugby, I believe it's time to step up into the big league! The only thing missing is a cool outfit. Now where's my sewing machine?

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      A real man don't need no stinkin' outfit Henrick. Be the first to wrestle au natural.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! Wrestling in my birthday suit, now that would create some headlines:-)

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll bet you'd win every match through forfeiture! lol World Champion!

Congrats on the success and great writeup. I do however, miss seeing a brisket photo to drool over.

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I too have had good experience with Henrik’s rubs and reading this led me to go back to Amazon and leave a review. I hope that this product has a lot of success so Henrik can add a larger sized container to the product line for those of us who what to keep a larger supply on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
        14lb prime packer went on the Traeger running 250 at 0615. The last one I did I started temp checking after 8 hours and it was DONE, so I started checking this one after 6 hours and it was 180ish just about everywhere and starting to soften up noticeably. I let it go and after 2 more hours it was averaging 194, probe-tender, and wubbaly. Pulled it off, wrapped/cambro'd and served 2 1/2 hours later. It was as good as I have ever done and our guests were oohing, ahhing, and wowing! Sliced like a dream and then cut it with a fork. Super moist and tender, like we like it. I will also give another shameless plug to our pit-brother Henrik for his beef rub. Everyone at the table commented on it's uniqueness and how much they liked it. Sorry Meathead, but BBBR and Cow Crust have lost a notch to the Swedish Nightmare (Henrik's wrestling name). BTW, I'm sure you all know what brisket looks like so I'll forego the pics.
        I'd still like to see the pics, lol! I don't think I will ever get tired of looking at food.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          Ditto that, Batman! Pics are always welcome, even my failures someone can learn from!

what is his rub named?

Comment

Thanks for sharing this CaptainMike . I have only done one brisket ever, and that was a choice one a year ago on my 22" kettle using the snake method. I have a 14lb prime brisket from Costco wet aging in the fridge, it'll get smoked near the end of the month. I was pondering my first overnight smoke on the 26" with SNS (which I was not thrilled about), but its nothing for me to be up at 5am to get things rolling so I think I can forgo the overnight thing. I remember reading that prime briskets would likely be done closer to 195 rather than 203+, good to see that confirmed, I'll start checking for the wobble then. I also have some of the Henrik beef rub handy, and my kettle likes to settle in at a sweet spot around 245-250 so I'll try to mimic your success here on my next brisket smoke (with a little more confidence in my back pocket to start with)!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Give yourself plenty of time. Not sure what dynamics are in play with my set up but that big 'ol Traeger cooks most things faster than traditional smoking methods. Butts and briskets just don't go over 10 hrs, but can take a loooong time on my kettle. Air movement is the likely culprit.

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          i cooked 4 10 -11 lb briskets during a bbq class yesterday in 4 1/2 hours. 300-325f , wrapping about 1/2 way through the cook. I would have rather taken it slower but hard to do when teaching a class and eating the brisket the same day. Waiting on clients to send me pics to post.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          Ahumadora I know what you mean, I've been contemplating a BBQ class, as my wife and I teach a West Indian cooking class, but the timing is just tough to do with BBQ.

Just did one over the weekend, will post pics on SUWYC later. It took me 8 + 2 and we were eating, cooking at 250* in a fan controlled WSM. Actually had to separate the point from the flat because the point was done about 45 minutes early, so in actuality it was more like 7 + 2 and we were eating. Prime will do that, get around 195ish and be all probe tender. In my case I used Oak Ridge Black Ops and an extra dose of course ground pepper.

Lots of You Tube vids with hot and fast (over 300*) cooks in 5-6 hours. I'm getting real close to trying, have never attempted it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn't Franklin cook his at over 300?

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I think he stays around 275*. Kosmos Q guy up in Oak City cooks hot and fast around 325*, gets it done in like 5 hours. I don't like his method though, he wraps tight in foil with lots of liquid and braises the meat. I just think that's getting too close to pot roast for me.

• Kori
          Kori commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike Baby Back Maniac had Harry Soo on a vid where he does an amazing job of breaking down the hot and fast method. I have yet to cook brisket, but I do want to try both methods.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here