Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Tri-Tip

First time this summer we’ve been able to grill on consecutive weekends. Tri-tip on sale at local butcher. Weber 26”, KBB, SnS, cold grate reverse sear to 140 IT. Second City Prime rub.

First time using the rub on a tri-tip so I was careful. Will use more rub or add some black pepper to it next time. Minor issue. Overall results were good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F7C141B-0789-416F-9E07-0E210E540D07.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	551554Click image for larger version

Name:	3C3D7DCD-A3B1-4CC0-BF08-B41DE88FFEF2.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	551556Click image for larger version

Name:	9707BB8B-8073-4510-A3C9-08A3DECAB126.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	551557
    Attached Files

Love Sunday Tri-Tip ..... looks great!

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s also good on the other 6 days!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      But that would be Monday Tri-Tip

Looks beautiful. Even if it’s on the ceiling. 😎😋😁

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B I gave up rotating the photos! Was trying post from my phone. Glad you got the idea anyway!

Beautiful. Reverse sear for the win!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great method for the tri-tip. The cold grate reverse sear works nicely.

Lookin' good.

Comment

I'd eat that?

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope so!

I’ve been dying to get my hands on some tri tip to try. My Lack of success is partially due to my local meat sources not having it and partially due to my laziness and unwillingness to go and find it. That looks great my friend!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I first read about it in Raichlen's book and couldn't find it. We moved here, walked into a local butcher shop and saw it in the case. A customer from CA special ordered it one day, they sold a dew, and it became a regular item in their case. It is our go-to steak. Good luck in your search!

I've easily cooked hundreds of Tri tip. Great cut of meat. Takes flavor well and cooks like a steak. You are in trouble now my friend. You will be chasing that steak. Try it SV for 6 hours and with a board sauce. So awesome. Great stuff.

Comment

• Bruce54
        Bruce54 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, what he said. I hardly do any other steak-like beef. What happens with having it always available at (West Coast) Costco.

Very nice job on the Tri Tip Reds Fan 5 . As HouseHomey just mentioned--YOU ARE HOOKED (as I am)--Tri Tip will become a "go to" for you. Have fun cooking!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Skip and HouseHomey, I was hooked a long time ago. I haven’t reached 100 tri-tips but I’m around 30. Easy to cook, can serve three of us (plus leftovers—steak salad was lunch today) with one piece of meat, lots of seasoning options.

No SV yet. Launching major kitchen reno/expansion. SV will follow!

Originally posted by smn1285 View Post
      I’ve been dying to get my hands on some tri tip to try. My Lack of success is partially due to my local meat sources not having it and partially due to my laziness and unwillingness to go and find it. That looks great my friend!
      Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? That's were I have gotten mine.

Comment

Mmmmm. Tri-tip.

Comment

Looks great! To take it to the next level do a board sauce next time!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
            Reds Fan 5 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use board sauces for flank steaks. Love it. The Board sauce is my favorite recipe/technique on the site (after ribs and reverse sear, of course!).

I am doing a Tri-tip tonight and I came back to this thread. HouseHomey you mentioned a board sauce, which is yet another thing I never heard of. So did a search to find out what it is and Meathead has one from Perry Lang. I only have fresh thyme and since I don't know all of the spices in my local spice companies Santa Anita Tri-tip rub didn't want to put in fresh rosemary. So I have fresh thyme, dried parsley, oregano, smoked paprika, minced garlic, S&P and EVOO. Gonna mix the juices from the cut into the board sauce and see what happens. Thanks, HouseHomey, for that idea. This is only my 2nd time doing Tri-tip and now know my local Cash&Carry sells it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I got your back brother. Anything you need. I absolutely need grilled lemon in my Board sauce. What did you use in yours.

HouseHomey I seasoned the meat last night with S&P and the Tri-tip rub from local spice company. Today cooked in it PBC until 115+, took it off and let rest a few under foil while Blaze gasser heated up the searing station. Dried off the TT, then brushed with Avocado oil (500F smoke point), then reverse seared each side 1 minute per side for 4 minutes. Checked temp and had to put on top rack of gasser for 304 more minutes to bring up to 135-140F. For the board sauce, I used some fresh thyme, dried oregano, dried parsley, 4 small cloves garlic minced, S&P, smoked paprika, and EVOO. Didn't even think about lemon. That would have brightened it up a bit but I thought it was good. I didn't ask my wife or son how they liked it. Was hoping to impress them enough to volunteer that info. It is making me look at Tri-tip for a bunch more meals instead of or in addition to chuck roast.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            My friend.. you are golden. I'm just an acid whore. Don't mind me. Most people don't care for the acid like I do. May I please offer,up a suggestion? Use only fresh herbs, just like you had. Put in a mini food prep/blender as you can add way more season/flavor n a cohesive state. Then dump,your TT on top. But please sir. Fresh herbs and acid. I won't disappoint you.

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey Ifn I had 'em, wudda used 'em. I only have thyme and rosemary fresh that I grow now. Didn't do the other 3 (parsley, basil, oregano) this year. I agree, I would rather use fresh.

Totally trying a board Sauce next time. I’m familiar with them, but haven’t done one yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here