Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for a small chucky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a small chucky?

I picked up two small chuck roasts from the butcher today for dinner tomorrow. They are dry. brining in the fridge now. I’m planning to rub with BBR and throw in early tomorow at 225 on my Yoder 640.

Last time I cooked a chucky was when I first got in to bbq. It came out a bit dry and didn’t go over so well but that was many many cooks ago.

Any advice so I can hit these out of the park. Planning to serve pulled with torillas.

Allow more time than you think you will need. Also allow for an hour or two in the cooler.

Comment

Bark up, wrap up, take to about 208-210, once there hold at 200 (oven for me) for another hour, cambro for two hours, pull and enjoy.

Comment

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        So when it hits 210 drop the cooker to 200?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Either drop the cooker, or put in the oven. Oven is probably easier.

I suggest putting different rubs on each one. Maybe S & P or Montreal Steak Seasoning on the second chucky.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup adamjs83 salt n pepper, SPG adds garlic
        Montreal makes fer some excellent beef, as well...
        We all have our slow uptake days, so no worries! :
        (Fortunately, mine are only on them days that end in 'Y' )
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 17, 2018, 08:25 PM.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - what Mr. Bones said - salt and pepper. And you can add garlic powder and/or onion powder too. I want to try soy sauce instead of salt, but haven't been able to remember to do it...

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB it's tasty, an we all have our own preferences, but I like a mix of Soy/Worcestershire sauce, now an again...
        Now, if I was makin chuckie fer an Asian dish, I'd go straight up soy (Loves me some soy sauce), but everyday chuckie? as above...
        +1 on onion powder !!!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 19, 2018, 04:19 AM.

Jerod Broussard and everyone else thanks for the tips.

I ended up hitting both with BBR. When the chucks hit around 207 I dropped the Yoder’s setpoint to 200 and in the time it took the temp to drop they both got to 210 and never above. Moved to cambro after an hour after the first hit 210. Cambro for 2 hours. Nailed it. This technique delivered exactly the product I was looking for. I think we have another favorite for the rotation.

My only note for next time is to go lighter on the salt for the dry brine and use something instead of commercial beef broth for the crutch. I may try beer as suggested above. It was a bit on the salty side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E15EFA92-DD56-4F47-9DE0-FAD868FC3E50.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	550894Click image for larger version  Name:	D0733C20-02BF-4A21-8B0C-5B6A4B971131.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	550895Click image for larger version  Name:	A378ECC9-4BB4-49BA-8A8E-9AE463486F9B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	550896

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine Job, there, looks delicious!

Awesome. I might add a little water. I never felt beef needed more beef flavor.

Comment

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        I got the idea for the beef broth from the AR free site. My experience in the past has been every time I deviate from Meathead ‘s advice I go wrong. I think the method in this thread is similar but better.

Might try low sodium beef broth next time. I make my own beef broth and never add salt to it, preferring to add salt later.

Sounds like the texture, tenderness and moistness were right on point, though. Congrats. Like you, I love BBBR on chuckies.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here