Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skirt steak on the BGE - hot 'n fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skirt steak on the BGE - hot 'n fast

I bought some Wagyu skirt steak from my new favorite butcher. The selection of meats he offers is ridiculous. I have to watch myself from filling up my freezer (and emptying my wallet...).

I dry brined the meat and then cooked it over warp 10 hot coals. No smoke, no thermometers, just experience.

A while back I welded a custom grate that extends about 4 inches down into the egg, so the meat gets closer to the heat. It really helps when doing hot 'n fast like this.

The raw meat

Click image for larger version  Name:	SkirtSteakRaw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	549724

Here they are on my custom grates, way down in the pit

Click image for larger version  Name:	SkirtSteakGrill.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	549723

And a few minutes later, done. Nicely pink in the middle, just right if you ask me

Click image for larger version  Name:	SkirtSteakDone.jpg Views:	1 Size:	857.5 KB ID:	549722

Dang good eatin'! I made tacos from these, but forgot to take photos of the finished product. Quite a few pieces went straight from the cutting board into my belly

If you haven't tried skirt steak, I recommend it. Great beef flavor, similar to hanger steak, with more marbling, and overall just juicy and tasty. Cooks in minutes too.

I recently did Wagyu skirt steak for 30, can't go wrong with that cut. Very forgiving too which is nice too!

Comment

Fantastic cook!!! For thin steaks like this, I’ve toggled between between a bed of rip-roaring lump and my Blackstome griddle. I’ve come to like the results from a screaming hot griddle over lump for these cooks that only take a couple mins/side. I like the sear better. Just curious to know if you’ve tried both methods and have a preference?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I haven’t tried the griddle, but I imagine you get a better sear due to higher meat-to-metal ratio.

Skirt steak is a somewhat regular thing at my house. But I do Central America "carne asada" these days, which is just great. Lime juice, olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh parsley, salt. Then the steak is cooked over the highest heat you can muster.

I have used my gas grill, kamado off the leash (with wood chunks added because the short cook times means the right kind of smoke isn’t important) and griddle.

In fact, a batch is in the fridge right now! Gonna cook it when I get home. I think I will use the Primo this time. Last time I used the griddle. But now I am inspired to fire up the kamado

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Go Primo! I love the flavors you listed, but I prefer applying them after the cook. Either way works.

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        I love carne asada. I was thinking about making some this week.

Those same ingredients in the marinade also make a fine chimichurri sauce on top of the asada.
        Last edited by Buck Flicks; August 20, 2018, 04:11 PM.

One of my favorite cuts, esp Wagyu. Way back I didn't know there were two cuts of skirt. Inside and outside. Bought them for years at Sam's club and was always tender. Then one time it was quite tough. Found out then that there were two cuts and learned to stay away for the inside skirt. Found out that most of the outside skirt, the better one, went to restaurants and it is hard to find now.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, I knew there was an outer and an inner, haven’t done a side by side yet. Might have to do that soon.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip!

That looks yummy.

Comment

Just right if ya ask me! NO one in my neighborhood carrys anything like that. Cool!
        Wagyu I mean.
        Last edited by FireMan; August 16, 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

been eating skirt steak since I was a child 50 years ago! My mom called it Romanian Tenderloin. It was ALWAYS one of the cheapest cuts and tasty because of all the fat. Yum and impossible to screw up. Then someone started selling Fajitas and all of the sudden triple the price and Wagyu (seriously) . Still love it, still can't screw it up unless you buy the wrong cut which nowadays many box stores try to pass off on unsuspecting newbies. I don't get the Wagyu (probably only time I would ever say this) as a choice cut has so much marble why bother?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            This was a waguy/angus breed, I'd be happy cooking choice skirt steak any day. Not that big a difference.

Henrik do you think there is a huge improvement by going with a highly marbled grade for skirt steak? Grilled skirt steak, typically Choice grade, is part of our weekly dinner rotation. I’ve never found tenderness to be an issue, our 13 month old with two teeth pops pieces like popcorn. Now you have me intrigued to "up the game" as they same.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm, don't know. I'd be happy cooking a choice skirt steak also. This wasn't a crazy expensive wagyu or so, just a 'normal' waguy/angus breed.

Just did some myself over the weekend. We marinaded in pineapple, lime, Dale's marinade and seasoning. Came out super tender. Made some awesome tacos, kids loved it !!!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, the mystic power of bromelain!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Careful that Bromo can make it mushy and sweet.

Henrik you are doing some awfully good cooks for us to look at! I want to eat too! YUM!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Skip! It was a pleasure doing a 5 minute grill for once, instead of 10 hours :-)

That's the perfect spot. Too rare and it's a chewy mess. To done and it road tar in your mouth. Great cook my friend.
          adamjs83 prime and above have better marbeling and tenderness. I buy choice all the tim but I assure you 98% of the time prime and above are better.

Comment

Good call on the "fire up the Primo" tip!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	EAD9A65A-31A7-46DB-82D5-286313D37C20.jpeg
Views:	726
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	549993Click image for larger version

Name:	B9FC5580-8FA7-4A83-8FB8-932899E5D3B3.jpeg
Views:	710
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	549994

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here