Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Beef Chuck, what went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Beef Chuck, what went wrong?

I have not done much with beef chuck, so though I’d give a try. I followed Malcom Reed’s pulled beef recipe. In short, smoke 3 hrs (to 140-160), foil tray filled with broth for 3 hrs (195-200) rest for 2hrs.

Before the initial 3 hour mark, I already hit 170°, so wrapped at that point. Within 2 more hours, already hit 200° Pulled off to rest. I ended up letting rest for a bit long, just over 3hrs. The beef did not fall apart like it should. It was moist and a bit tender, but I had to chop it up to eat, wouldn’t shread.

I'm guessing I pulled off heat too soon, even though I had hit 200°, and/or I let it rest too long. It was still warm, but not really hot. Perhaps it firmed up because it got too cold?

Could be it got too cool, or it just needed to cook longer. I use temp as a guide and a probe test to fine tune.

Comment

Try this one next time - it's consistently great. But it is a bit more work. https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

Obviously the branded rub can be substituted for, though it is a good one.

Comment

I wrap mine in foil with about a half cup of broth after the stall. I make sure it's probe tender before pulling it not just try to hit a certain temp. It still takes a good tug in spots to pull it apart. It usually takes about 5 - 7 hours. Looks like this when pulled and it's yummy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_190557.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	549445

Comment

Don't worry about fussing with all that stuff from other people. Use it as a guide. Add salt, add flavor, add smoke, heat and time. Just cook it till it's tender, you will do just fine.

Comment

Temperature is not really the indicator for collagen breakdown (it is for meat fiber doneness). It’s the time and temp / total heat that breaks things down. It just so happens that on a long unwrapped cook,200F is where things end up when they’ve had enough time cooking low and slow. Probe for tenderness is more reliable the temp, but temp can tell you when to start checking.

My guess is it needed a little more time.

Comment

I always take mine to 210, keep it there for an hour, and then hold for another couple of hours. That method has never failed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
                I always take mine to 210, keep it there for an hour, and then hold for another couple of hours. That method has never failed me.
                Exactly. Never seen a chuck pull that great with a final temp under 205.

Comment

Just needed more time...I should have known, I’ve cooked pot roast, braised short rib, shanks plenty of times to know how falling apart it should have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudkat View Post
                    I wrap mine in foil with about a half cup of broth after the stall. I make sure it's probe tender before pulling it not just try to hit a certain temp. It still takes a good tug in spots to pull it apart. It usually takes about 5 - 7 hours. Looks like this when pulled and it's yummy!

Name:	20180701_190557.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	549445
                    I do the same.

Name:	4D7A67AA-44C3-4955-BF0A-420A18FE320F.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	549521

Comment

Chucks need to be cooked to a hotter temperature than other meats. I usually take mine to 207.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here