Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After seeing this post I had to give Chuck roast a try & @ my local grocery store they just happened to have Chuck roast bogo free. Nothing like getting $50 of meat for $25. Know what I'm smoking this weekend.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We will be waiting to see your accomplishment!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Great deal! Mine are usually $4 to $5 a pound but recently Publix had a bogo and I should have stocked up.

I'm going to hang a couple of these with a whole prime packer tomorrow in th PBC. Tomorrow will be college football and low and slow day!

Comment

Butchman Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like a fun cook.

Kathryn

Comment

This went right to my bookmarks! Incredible!

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          You won't regret smoking a couple of chuckies, Mudkat . Make 'em soon!

Kathryn

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Roger that!

I'm sorry but didn't read through the entire comments but wanted to ask at what temp did you smoke the chucks? You said peak temp of 425°. I have an offset smoker, should I smoke at 225°?

Comment

Oh gosh, Mr_Plow757 , I'd never smoke a chuck that high (at 425)! Use the same smoking temps you always use for brisket, I'd say, 225 to 285 or so depending on your smoker.

Some offset smoker folks may want to comment.

I have a Pit Barrel Cooker which runs hotter, so I smoke my chuckies at 250 to 280 usually.

Just follow the method in the first two posts of this topic and you'll be good to go.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; September 2, 2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree, offset or otherwise. My personal preference is 225-240 in my offset and other non-PBC cookers, but nothing wrong with a bit higher either.

Dayum! Old thread but just saw it because it was bumped. That photo of the meat with the peppers, onions & cheese was a religious experience, I think I heard angels singing! Dave, your Slow 'n Sear and the BBC are revitalizing my interest in outdoor cooking. Two amazing products!
          Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Hallelujah!

Originally posted by JCinPA View Post
          Dayum! Old thread but just saw it because it was bumped. That photo of the meat with the peppers, onions & cheese was a religious experience, I think I heard angels singing! Dave, your Slow 'n Sear and the BBC are revitalizing my interest in outdoor cooking. Two amazing products!
          Thank ya! Much appreciated

Comment

I want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread.

I've been doing briskets for 20 years but probably never again. Chuck roasts are better IMO because -
            • They're smaller than a brisket. This means more surface area for bark.
            • Chuckies tend to sag as they cook while hanging in the PBC. More surface area again.
            • Lots of marbling, lots of moisture. Each chuckie had about three tablespoons of liquid in the foil when I unwrapped them after pulling out of the faux cambro. I've always felt that having to add some kind of liquid after wrapping brisket was a necessary evil. I don't want the meat to taste like soda, beer or fruit juice, and beef broth is just adding more salt to something already brined.
            • Chucks seem more resilient to things not going as planned, not unlike pork butts. After I wrapped them and put the second one on the grate in the PBCjr I realized I was tight on space. I was getting probe temps that I knew were wrong so after a few tries I gave up trying to reinsert the probe and winged it for about another 20-30 minutes. I was going to shoot for 210 and must've been pretty close. Brisket, on the other hand, does not like getting wedged up against the inside of a PBCjr.
            • $3.99 a pound.
            Of note for PBCjr owners- chuckies while cooking when hung will sag due to the marbling. If you're doing two at a time be sure to wrap them tightly. After you wrap them at 170 and put them back in on the grate, you may find yourself tight on space and have a tough time with the probe. You could wrap them with butchers twine or silicone bands before the cook, but I wouldn't want to give up the nooks and crannies that develop.

I got distracted during the lighting process. I follow the procedure in the stickied thread in the PBC forum (I pull 20 briquettes for the chimney since I have a PBCjr), but I let the coals in the chimney get too far along. They did light the other coals but it turned out I had to add more KBB during the stall. That ramped up the heat to over 300. A stunt like that would mess up a brisket, but chuckies can take it as you can see below.

Look at that moisture before wrapping!

Look at all those nooks and crannies for bark and smoke to hide out.

For killer smoke rings I always put the meat in the freezer for 30 minutes right before going into the cooker.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Glorious!

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I do chuckies over brisket almost all of the time for all of the reasons you mentioned. Doing one tomorrow for no-holds barred chili for the Michigan/Indiana tailgate. Absolutely yes regarding putting them into the cooker really cold - partially frozen.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Gorgeous. That Lil' PBC turns out some great food, from the looks of it.

Kathryn

Oh my. We are headed to Marco (polo) Island in December. I will be sniffing around for your next chuckie cook! Sweet!! N227GB

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect time of the year for a visit!

Thanks all!

Something else I noticed. Since I had to add more KBB during the stall, I knew I would end with a bit of a charcoal smoke taste. I was slicing up the chuckies around 2-3 in the afternoon, nibbling as I went along. After a few hours, there was a definite aftertaste of KBB. Not unpleasant, but I prefer wood chunks and meat drippings for the smoke.

Wasn't hungry for a big dinner, so had some leftover chicken chili to avoid that "over-cued" sensation from spending all morning around the cook.

Warmed up a slice this morning and it was just as good as I expected, but no charcoal aftertaste. I guess the other flavors won out overnight because the charcoal smoke was not present very long in term of the whole cook.

Comment

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              What was your overall cook time, and do you know what your predominant cooking temps were other than the high starting temp and the 300+ when you added KBB?

Great looking results, and I love a good "throwback thread resurrection"!

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Cook time was about 5+ hours. I think the temp spike speeded things along. Cooker temp was around 260, but I know that temp can vary in different parts of the barrel. I usually drape the probe about 6 inches below the rebar in the center.

Did you add the KBB cold to the hot fire? When I add coals to my PBC, I always add hot from a chimney. You get that KBB taste when coals are not hot enough, I've noticed.

Kathryn

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              I added one by one right out of the Kaddy, using a pair of long-handled tongs so they wouldn't bounce around and kick up ash. But that's a great idea if this happens in the future! Just grab 'em out of the hot chimney.

I've got two chuckies in brine ready for a Saturday cook. David Parrish

Comment

Let us know how they turn out, HawkerXP . Dave's method posted in the first posts of this topic is foolproof.

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. That is why I bumped this post. Some chuckie talk going around and this will work on any cooker!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC934112-2CD6-4C5C-833F-B91A1157452E.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	743307Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B435F5-C2B8-4A55-BC71-1BD54CD44526.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	743309Click image for larger version

Name:	82CD918F-2214-4B03-9D38-3F53815F14DE.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	743308fzxdoc In the barrel!

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Love that last pic! Enjoy 'em.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here