Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep! We had two meals bunless Philly Cheesesteak style earlier in the week. Today I caught DW eating a bowl of just the chuck roast for lunch. Did she heat any up for me? Nooooooooo. No she didn't. Saved it ALL for herself. lol

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I often tell my DH that marriage is share and sacrifice--as in you share, you sacrifice. Sounds like your DW got the same memo. Who can blame her when there's smoked chucky to be had?

Kathryn

Lol. Apparently this memo you speak of is wide spread. I've read similar experiences from many members!

Comment

Once again I want to thank you, Dave, for making me a better cook. I smoked 4 beef chuckys on the PBC yesterday, my second chucky/PBC cook ever. The first cook I pulled the chuck off at 199-202. It was tasty and juicy but I had to use Bear Claws to pull it. It was tender but not super tender.

This time, at your recommendation I took it to 207-209, which added about 2 hours to the cook because it went into a second stall at 202. I almost gave up but am glad I didn't. That meat was fall-apart tender. I just used my (gloved) fingers to separate out the little bits of unmelted interstitial fat that remained as I pulled the meat apart. Gosh it was gorgeous--and delicious.

On the PBC, I wrapped at 165 and put it back until it reached 207-209, then put it in a 150 degree warming oven (double wrapped) for 2 hours before pulling. The average PBC temp was 275, and I used 9 oz total of a combo of apple/cherry/hickory chunks. The Bear Claws stayed on the shelf--didn't need them at all. I didn't chop or slice, it was so easy to just pull with my hands.

Taking the chuckys up those extra few degrees made all the difference in the world, Dave. Thank you sooooo much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucky to 208 deg 1.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	59251Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucky to 208 deg 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	59252

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, thanks, Steve and CDD. We had more pulled beef chili tonight. Tasted good on a cold and blustery evening!

• moteltan
        moteltan commented
        Editing a comment
        This thread is getting downright inspirational. Thanks for sharing, all.

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn, those pictures are mouth watering.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      Once again I want to thank you, Dave, for making me a better cook.
      Those words warmed my heart. Thank you.

And those chuckies.... wait for it..........

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	310
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	59482

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay! I finally got one of those! Woo Hoo! I'd turn a cartwheel if I wouldn't end up hurting something important on myself.

I owe it to your fine advice. Thanks!

Kathryn

Dave,
      I noticed you hung one vertically, and one horizontally. Any difference/preference?

Comment

No preference. They were shaped differently, which drove the vertical/horizontal hang.

Comment

Thanks. And you just foiled them, no added liquid?

Comment

No added liquid. After I take them out of the tightly wrapped foil there's liquid in the wrapper. I pour some of it back onto the meat (fat and juice). Indescribably awesome! Always taste it first to make sure it's not too salty.

Comment

I am doing my first chuck this Sunday!!!!
              Last edited by Ernest; February 5, 2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you PBing it?

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Will be a small piece, I'll fire up lil Smokey.

What a great cook and end result, those cheesesteaks look awesome! I think I know what I'm going to try this weekend… Nice touch on the smoke control.

Comment

Eugene since you're a big beef rib fan I am guessing you will be VERY pleased with chuck roast

Make sure to try the BBBR with Cumin as I mention on page 1.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I added cumin to the BBBR for my brisket cook today. I'm looking forward to tasting it.

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool. Let us know what you think.

Got one going now, but 40 minutes in, temp is settling at 310-315. Think I'll foil a couple holes.

Comment

Agreed Jordan. That's a little hot.

Comment

I hate being the killjoy here, but mine: meh. It was ok. It mostly pulled apart. I made Philly Cheese steaks out of it, and the wife liked it, but she's from out of town. I wrapped at 160 with a nice bark (about 4 1/2 hours in), took it up to 208 (another hour and a quarter--fast), and put it in the faux cambro for over an hour. Honestly, not a lot of smoke flavor. More revealed itself in what I picked at while doing the dishes, so maybe tomorrow's tacos will knock me out. Or maybe it was my misspent youth or the the smoked meats I've gorged on thus far and my tongue is slowly dying. Either way, kind of a drag, if you wanna know the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Mott View Post
                      I hate being the killjoy here, but mine: meh. It was ok. It mostly pulled apart. I made Philly Cheese steaks out of it, and the wife liked it, but she's from out of town. I wrapped at 160 with a nice bark (about 4 1/2 hours in), took it up to 208 (another hour and a quarter--fast), and put it in the faux cambro for over an hour. Honestly, not a lot of smoke flavor. More revealed itself in what I picked at while doing the dishes, so maybe tomorrow's tacos will knock me out. Or maybe it was my misspent youth or the the smoked meats I've gorged on thus far and my tongue is slowly dying. Either way, kind of a drag, if you wanna know the truth.
                      Try adding some wood chunks next time. Most folks appreciate the smoke flavor from drippings on the coals, but you sound like me in that you like a heavier smoke flavor. On a thicker cut of meat you may just need to boost it up by adding wood chunks. Or do your next one on your Weber with Smokenator.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here