Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an absolutely AWESOME thread! I have to admit that smoked and pulled Chuck Roast had not occurred to me previously. Which is strange because we eat a fair amount of Chuck Roast cooked in the oven. Anyway, I'm thinking about trying this on Saturday. The forecast here in Mid Michigan is for 30 f and Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. My Pit is a Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault. Does anyone have experience with this unit. I'm still learning what it can do. Any concerns about holding temp? I would appreciate any insights. PJ

Comment

Ohmigosh, PJBowmaster , you've got a real taste treat in store! Use the pulled beef from the chuckie in a Philiaelphia cheesesteak sammie, add it in place of ground beef to chili, lasagna, meat marinara spaghetti sauce, chile colorado, tacos, etc...the list goes on and on. It may just replace brisket as your go-to smoked beef fav.

Kathryn

Comment

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that's a hell of an endorsement! Funny you should say replace brisket. We cook outdoors year round. And we love steak. Which most of the time means Center Cut Chuck Eyes rather than Ribeyes due to cost. We love em! So this totally resonates with me....

• Northside Brian
        Northside Brian commented
        Editing a comment
        Here in dallas where we can get brisket for $2.99/lb and chuckies run $4.99 and up, briskiet wil still be king. I picked up 2 10lb butts the other day for $.99/lb

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!!

My favorite chuckie version still is wolfpits pepper stout beef. But I add in a ton of mushrooms and extra beef broth if I am doing a 4 lb or larger chuck roast. There have been many nights where my plate just has a pile of the meat and some kind of veggie.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        A pile of meat with a veggie on the side--nothing wrong with that combo! That's my fav too.

I really enjoy a well marbled, smoked chuck roast, and I have to say, David Parrish, yeah, you nailed it! This thread is making me so hungry.

Comment

I know this is a complicated way to do chuck roasts, but it sure is delicious (a fave around here):
        Clay’s Pulled Beef

Recipe Author: Clay Roberts

Beef makes a great BBQ sandwich but it tends to dry out during the cook.This three stage method using a Dutch oven helps to keep the beef tender, moist and flavorful. Here’s my recipe for the egg.

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3080.jpg[/IMG]

Clay's Pulled Beef
        Author: Clay Roberts
        Ingredients
        • Two or three choice chuck roasts
        • Peanut Oil
        • Dizzy Pig® Cow Lick Steak Rub
        • 10 strips of good bacon
        • Tomato based BBQ sauce or your favorite sauce
        • â…“ cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
        • â…” cup water

Instructions
        1. Rub beef with peanut oil. Coat generously with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.
        2. Prepare your smoker for an indirect cook at 250F degrees and hickory chips. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook.
        3. Stage 1:
        4. Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan.
        5. Lay bacon on top of beef.
        6. Cook for about 5 hours, and when beef is 160F internal remove from smoker.
        7. Stage 2:
        8. Oil inside a No.12 Dutch oven with peanut oil.
        9. Remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven.
        10. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven.
        11. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef.
        12. Insert meat temperature probe.
        13. Put the lid on and return to smoking still at 250F
        14. Cook for about 2 hours or until beef is 215F internal and remove from egg.
        15. Stage 3:
        16. Remove beef to rest.
        17. Drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container.
        18. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later.
        19. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork.
        20. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add the sauce to your liking.
        21. Skim fat from saved juice and return juice to the beef.
        22. Add more hickory chips to fire.
        23. Return Dutch oven to smoke with the lid off.
        24. Cook for about 1 and ½ hours.
        25. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250F.
        26. Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side.

Notes
        If you don’t have a Dutch oven you can use a double layer of heavy aluminum foil.  Special thanks to all the good cooks on the forum that helped me make this BBQ.

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3079.jpg[/IMG]

Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250F degrees dome. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, platesetter feet up, grid on platesetter, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3077.jpg[/IMG]

Stage 1
        Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in egg and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160F internal remove from egg.

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3081.jpg[/IMG]

Stage 2
        In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the egg and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250F. Cook for about 2 hours or until beef is 215F internal and remove from egg.

Stage 3
        Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add the sauce to your liking. Taste test. Now skim fat from saved juice and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, lets go back to the egg. Lift platesetter and throw a good handful of hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and 1/2 hours. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250F.

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3082.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3078.jpg[/IMG]

Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side.

Let’s eat!

[IMG]file:////home/falis/.nixnote/db-2/dba/3080.jpg[/IMG]

Author’s note: If you don’t have a Dutch oven you can use a double layer of heavy alumimum foil. Keep the egg steady at 250F, smoke with more hickory if you like and enjoy one of lifes best sandwiches.

Comment

Here is a pic of my Chuckie dry brined and going back in the fridge. Tomorrow we cook...
          Attached Files

Comment

This one is slightly over 3 lbs. About 1.75 inches thick. Certified Angus Beef. It's a freakin' badass!!

Comment

Enjoy that cook, PJBowmaster ! You'll be having good eats before long...

Kathryn

Comment

It's been an interesting cook so far. Having a hard time controlling temp. Been all over the place between 235 and 265 f. Water pan went dry on me twice and temp spiked to 310 f. Now checking that every hour. It's about 29 degrees f and snowing.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by PJBowmaster; January 28, 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I'm 7 1/2 hours into this cook and stalled at 160 f. Should I crutch or power through?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PJBowmaster; January 28, 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're going to get multiple answers... some people smoke meat to see how fast they can do it and still get good tasting meat. Other people smoke low and slow. They plan for the stall, a double stall. Some people use the Texas crutch. Some people turn the heat up... there's no right way to do it!

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me... I smoke ALL meat at 225°. I've VEVER used the Texas crutch. I've never turned the heat up to power through the stall. I Plan ahead and I know a Cambro is my buddy! Being able to rest my meat for hours... allows me to plan way ahead.

• PJBowmaster
                    PJBowmaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do need to work on my cook day planning. Which basically means getting my ass out of bed in the morning.....LOL

Here is a review of my cook day. Finished product photos and commentary to follow:

Texas Style Chuck Roast
                  1. Purchased a 3.5 lb. CAB Chuck Roast. About 1.75 inches thick.
                  2. Dry Brined for about 12 hours with Kosher Salt per Meathead’s instructions.
                  3. My Pit is a Camp Chef 24” Smoke Vault vertical gas smoker.
                  4. Pre-heated the smoker to about 235 f.
                  5. Applied Meathead’s "Big Bad Beef Rub".
                  6. Placed the meat over the water pan. Meat temp was about 37 f.
                  7. Added about 6 ounces of Apple Chips to the wood tray.
                  8. Had a difficult time controlling the temp for the first two hours. Probably inexperience, ambient temperature, and windy conditions.
                  9. Twice in the middle of the cook my water pan went dry. Temp spiked up to 310 f.
                  10. About 4 hours into the cook the meat reached in internal temp of 155 f and stalled. After 3.5 more hours it had risen to only 160 f. At this time I employed the Texas Crutch technique by wrapping tightly in foil with about a Tablespoon of Beef Broth. The meat had a good bark prior to wrapping.
                  11. About 9.5 hrs. into the cook internal temp is up to 202 f. The crutch is working.
                  12. Just shy of 10 hours into the cook the internal temp finally reached 209 f. Removed meat from the grill, wrapped in a couple of towels, and placed in my Grizzly Cooler.
                  13. Allowed meat to rest for about 45 minutes in the cooler.
                  14. Could not wait any longer. It was 9 pm and way past time to eat!

Comment

So how did it taste, PJBowmaster ?

Comment

Here are some pics of the finished product. Served with Grannie's Texas Beans which were terrific! Perfect side for beef. The meat turned out pretty darn good for a first try. It was tender, moist, and succulent with nice bark and bold flavor from the BBBR. Next time I will focus more on heat control, water pan maintenance, and will allow for a longer rest in the cooler. The collagen and fat could have rendered just a bit more for my taste. Overall I'm pretty happy with this cook!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ohmigosh, that looks amazing! Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

• PJBowmaster
                          PJBowmaster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you!!!

Thrilled to see your post about smoking the chuck roasts on your SV24 PJBowmaster. We just picked up a couple of 3.5 lb
                        choice chuck roasts at Costco and plan to cook them on our SV24 tomorrow. They're dry brining now.

Very nice to see your great results with the SV. Is there anything you would do differently for your next chuck roast cook on your SV?
                        Any other suggestions for us?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here