Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just knew it would be a feast fit for hardworking kings. Good to hear it turned out so well JPS . Now you know why I smoke chuckies on my PBC 4 at a time! That meat gets snarfed up fast!

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by JPS View Post
      Smoked chuckie I will say it again smoked chuckie. Turned out great, thought I might get leftovers but we keep picking at it while cleaning up. I would like to give a shout out to everyone on this forum for the tips. I have to say it washed down good with some perrin brewery grapefruit IPA. Us folks here in west Michigan are lucky to have a lot of places with excellent brew.

Glad it turned out!

Comment

I smoked two 3 lb chucks today that I dry brined on Wednesday. I started them on my Kamado Joe Classic at 9:30 am after a nice coating of bbbr. By 2 PM they were in a stall at 157 degrees. At 4 PM they were still in a stall so I crutched them at around 4:30. I had company coming over at 6 PM and wanted to hurry things along but i couldn't hurry them on the Kamado because the chucks were sitting above two racks of St Louis ribs. I decided to fire up the PK Grill and finish the chuckies at 350 degrees. I quickly brought the chucks up to 207 and held them there for about an hour and a half. I grilled red, yellow and orange peppers along with onion lollipops on skewers for Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. I grated extra sharp provolone and then assembled the sandwiches with the cheese and melted it under the broiler and then let people assemble their sandwiches from there. It was amazing and the chuck was shreddable and had some crispy crust even though I crutched it after 2 hours in a stall. The meat was extremely moist and flavorful and came from Costco. Thanks for sharing your recipe Pit Boss.

Comment

Good idea about the onion lollipops on skewers, Don Jr . I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks! Sounds like you had a feast with those chuckies. Enjoy the leftovers.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 12, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Kathryn. I can also confirm after last nights dinner that the chuck does indeed make great nachos.

Comment

Wow! Nice job, Pit Boss!

Comment

I plan on doing a couple of these today on my WSM. Has anyone tried injecting them to keep the moisture up, or would I be better off just adding a little broth when I wrap them?

Comment

Originally posted by russon81 View Post
                  I plan on doing a couple of these today on my WSM. Has anyone tried injecting them to keep the moisture up, or would I be better off just adding a little broth when I wrap them?

Injecting won't hurt for sure but I don't bother. A little broth at the time you wrap works great!

And welcome to The Pit! We're glad you're here.

Comment

• russon81
                    russon81 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok, great, I skipped the injection. Thanks, you guys are full of helpful information!

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank us with pics of the cook!

Welcome to The Pit russon81! I'm looking forward to your photos. See you around The Pit!

Comment

Would butcher paper work with this recipe? Going to do my first chuck from Costco Sunday on my pbc

Comment

Originally posted by cstrfd4 View Post
                      Would butcher paper work with this recipe? Going to do my first chuck from Costco Sunday on my pbc

Sure. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Chuck Roast has a nice beefy flavor and you can't beat the price compared to other beef cuts. Where I live brisket costs $8.99 per/lb for choice, but chuck is usually only $3.99 per/lb and tastes great. Nice cook!

Comment

• Breadhead
                          Breadhead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In Hermosa Beach, Ca, Whole Paycheck, aka Whole Foods sells a usda choice grade brisket for $9.99 per pound. 5 miles down the road Costco sells a usda Prime grade brisket for $2.79 per pound. Personally I refuse to buy anything but usda Prime briskets. I will not pay more the $3.50 per pound.

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Whole Paycheck--I like that, Breadhead. I wish we had a Costco nearby. I have to settle for whatever Walmart or Sam's Club has, which is NEVER the prime cut. Fresh Market sells prime flats for $$$ but I like to smoke packers anyway, even if I wanted to pay their exorbitant price.

K.

Very nice

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Welcome Kariandscott! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here