Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. That is why I bumped this post. Some chuckie talk going around and this will work on any cooker!

• Mudkat
    commented on 's reply
    Love that last pic! Enjoy 'em.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    What a perfect shot of the PBC in action, HawkerXP . Enjoy that cook!

K.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AC934112-2CD6-4C5C-833F-B91A1157452E.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	743307Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B435F5-C2B8-4A55-BC71-1BD54CD44526.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	743309Click image for larger version

Name:	82CD918F-2214-4B03-9D38-3F53815F14DE.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	743308fzxdoc In the barrel!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Let us know how they turn out, HawkerXP . Dave's method posted in the first posts of this topic is foolproof.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    I've got two chuckies in brine ready for a Saturday cook. David Parrish

Leave a comment:

• N227GB
    commented on 's reply
    I added one by one right out of the Kaddy, using a pair of long-handled tongs so they wouldn't bounce around and kick up ash. But that's a great idea if this happens in the future! Just grab 'em out of the hot chimney.

• N227GB
    commented on 's reply
    Cook time was about 5+ hours. I think the temp spike speeded things along. Cooker temp was around 260, but I know that temp can vary in different parts of the barrel. I usually drape the probe about 6 inches below the rebar in the center.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Did you add the KBB cold to the hot fire? When I add coals to my PBC, I always add hot from a chimney. You get that KBB taste when coals are not hot enough, I've noticed.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    What was your overall cook time, and do you know what your predominant cooking temps were other than the high starting temp and the 300+ when you added KBB?

Great looking results, and I love a good "throwback thread resurrection"!

• N227GB
    replied
    Thanks all!

Something else I noticed. Since I had to add more KBB during the stall, I knew I would end with a bit of a charcoal smoke taste. I was slicing up the chuckies around 2-3 in the afternoon, nibbling as I went along. After a few hours, there was a definite aftertaste of KBB. Not unpleasant, but I prefer wood chunks and meat drippings for the smoke.

Wasn't hungry for a big dinner, so had some leftover chicken chili to avoid that "over-cued" sensation from spending all morning around the cook.

Warmed up a slice this morning and it was just as good as I expected, but no charcoal aftertaste. I guess the other flavors won out overnight because the charcoal smoke was not present very long in term of the whole cook.

Leave a comment:

• N227GB
    commented on 's reply
    Perfect time of the year for a visit!

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Gorgeous. That Lil' PBC turns out some great food, from the looks of it.

Kathryn

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    I do chuckies over brisket almost all of the time for all of the reasons you mentioned. Doing one tomorrow for no-holds barred chili for the Michigan/Indiana tailgate. Absolutely yes regarding putting them into the cooker really cold - partially frozen.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Glorious!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here