Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will beef short ribs last in frig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will beef short ribs last in frig

How long will uncooked beef short ribs last in the frig if they're store bought, vacuum packed? Are they like brisket? Will the meat age with time?

Are they cryovaced like a brisket? I assume since you say vacuum packed. Never tried aging them that way myself. I don't think there's much to gain by aging shorties, they're so full of fat & collagen that they cook up mighty tender & juicy when done right....so my inclination is to just cook them by the sell-by date.

Comment

I agree, if cryovaced you can leave them in the fridg for weeks but there wouldn't be too much benefit. If they are just grocery packaged (taken out of the cryo) then you need to cook or freeze just like any piece of meat.

Comment

Thanks for responses. They're cryovaced. Local Meijer had only 2 packages when I bought them 4 weeks ago. Was expecting more people for dinner, but a couple had to take a pass so only used one package. They look fine on the outside of the package. Plan on dry brining night before so will have plenty of time to make alternate plans if meat looks or smell funny when I open it.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Good plan. Your snout will tell you, but I bet you're good if your fridge is under 40.

Not your question but if you cooked them all, they probably wouldn’t have made it back to the fridge.

They keep much longer than they last when cooked. :-)

Comment

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a teenage son. My first thought was any left overs last about two hours, max, after dinner is over.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here