Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tenderizing steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenderizing steak

I've heard that using pineapple or papaya puree on a steak for 30 minutes then rinsing off tenderizes it. Have you used this?

Both contain bromelain, which will act as a tenderizer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain

Comment

Pineapple and papaya are both highly acid in nature, so yes you will tend to "cook" the meat and thus tenderize to some degree. It's the same as using lime or lemon juice on seafood to make ceviche.

Comment

Harry Soo from Smack yourDaddy did a test on this. Yes it did tenderize the steak. Its somewhere on youtube

Comment

I have tried pineapple to tenderize, but now tend not to use it. Turned into a grey gooey mess

Comment

Steak is generally tender. I would suggest a better quality steak.

Huntington Beach welcomes you!

Comment

Kiwi works wonders too (same concept). But if you do this, watch it carefully. If you leave it for an hour, you've ruined the food. Start with 10-15 minutes first.

I'm with Ahumadora though, I'd rather make a stew/chili of that tough cut, and get a better one next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here