Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of these beef ribs??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of these beef ribs??????

I am new to BBQ and yesterday I tried beef short ("Dino") ribs. Before I say anything about my experience and how I thought the ribs tasted....I'd like you to tell me what you can glean from the picture? Just so you know, the ribs pre-trimmed weighed about 4.75 lbs. I am asking because most of you have forgotten more than I know. I cooked on my Mak 1 Star. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_193854.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	543639

Good smoke ring, so hopefully have some smoke flavor. Great looking bark so good seasoning and they look like the fat rendered down good. So should have been spot on!

Comment

Good color with a nice smoke ring, but I'm not seeing much moisture. How long since they were sliced?

Comment

From where I sit, those look like some juicy, well barked hunks of bovine rib nirvana; great colours, even gotta smoke ring in th process...

Nice Job; lmk when yer lookin fer Field Testers!

Comment

I think what you have here is a shortage of wibs. There clearly is not enough. Other than that, they look simply marvelous & I would be happy to indulge myself in pictured cook.

Comment

I would eat that. Looks great.

Comment

I'd be mighty thrilled to see them on my plate, job well done I'd say. Hard to tell moisture from a pic, looks like they could've been a touch dry but looks can be deceiving I know this from experience.

Comment

What do I think? I'm thinking why the h**l didn't he call me for dinner? Those look absolutely out of this world.
                Beef ribs are the bomb!

Comment

Concur with above. I’d eat those without hesitation.

Comment

I had the same initial thought about the moisture but if I blow up the picture they look juicy as all get out !!! Fat seemed to render out and you got a good bark. Looks like you and your MAK did a great job !!!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed! When you blow that pic up, they look super moist!

Appearance wise, I think they look perfect. Good bark, nice deep smoke ring and look like they might be very moist. No way to judge taste or texture without actually sinking my teeth into a plate full 'em (*hint*). From what I see - Nice job!!

Last edited by BBQ_Steve-O; August 5, 2018, 09:08 PM. Reason: Judging moisture from appearance is hard enough when the rib is sitting right in front of you, but judging from a picture is a total guess.

Comment

BTW, I'm like 15~ mins away, if ya ever need a taste tester...
                      Jus sayin...

Comment

Looks good to me! Truth be told, beef short ribs are chuckies on a stick, and if you just cook them that way, it's hard to screw them up.

Comment

Those look perfect to me! Beef shorties are overly fatty, so they're very hard to dry out. Actually, my first few attempts were probe tender but still needed more time for the fat to render. Yours look perfect- the line of fat running through the center looks perfectly rendered to me, and plenty of juicyness.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                            HouseHomey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great to see you again!

• smokinfatties
                            smokinfatties commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ha thanks Homey! been on the forums less, life has been getting in the way!!

Those look great. I also smoked some short ribs this weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	BD035181-E298-458B-B0AB-840FDE3FEF3A.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	543781Click image for larger version

Name:	E1BA979D-AB44-4014-A2BD-18633FB5D18B.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	543782

Comment

• dmcneil
                            dmcneil commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Real nice!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here