Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook time for 4LB brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook time for 4LB brisket

Dad had to process a 700LB feeder. Wants me to smoke the brisket and it weights 4LB after trimming. Im not that experienced at brisket to know safe start time. Was planing to smoke at 220 till 160 deg then wrap and throw in oven at 250 till 202 degrees. Would like to serve at 5:30 pm. Is 9 am too early to start. Thanks

I'd say not. Might even be on the late side the way briskets go and that you can cambro them once they cooked. I'd go for it.

Comment

I say give yourself 10 hrs minimum, 12 to be safe, counting a 2hr faux cambro hold after cooking.

Comment

Last week I did a 4lb flat hot & fast, avg temp 300 with some time up at 325. It took about 5hrs to get to the faux cambro hold point, so about 7 total. My above comment is for the traditional 225-250 temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          I say give yourself 10 hrs minimum, 12 to be safe, counting a 2hr faux cambro hold after cooking.
          Would never think it would take 10 hours for small brisket but it did. Had some mechanical problems that did not help.

Comment

Originally posted by BC Buck View Post

Would never think it would take 10 hours for small brisket but it did. Had some mechanical problems that did not help.
            Same thing here first time I did a small flat- I thought for sure it'd only take 5 or 6 or something. After it took the same time for me as a packer, and after a couple more repeats with the same experience, I realized the flat on a full packer sits there 10-12 hrs and cooks just fine, so why can't it sit there w/o it's partner when it's flying' solo?

If you want a quicker cook, try cooking closer to 300. You can get 'er done in closer to 6 or 7 total.

Comment

I did a small 5 lb the other day also on a Weber throw away with a snake method and didn’t take to long. It was a flat and point. My temps were a lil high ( was experimenting with the vents). Here is a fireboard detail
              Click image for larger version

Name:	9945045C-992B-4B52-943E-E41E376A5375.png
Views:	112
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	544798
              it wasn’t to long but I’d say about 8 hrs with Cambro time

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here