Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CosCo - USDA Prime vs Black Angus Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CosCo - USDA Prime vs Black Angus Choice

My local Cosco’s sell USDA Prime brisket for $3.99 per pound. I never find it cheaper anywhere else. However, they also sell a "Black Angus USDA Choice" labeled brisket. It sells for $5.99 per pound. I assume this means the black angus choice is a better quality than the prime?

Angus is just a non fda/usda approved grading system. Its pretty hard to compare. I will say that most graded angus ive had has been damn good but i do think the premium you are paying is mostly due to it being a private, commercial grading system.

Comment

Here's what our illustrious founder has written on th subject...

Additional, informative readin...

Comment

Here's a good article on prime vs various "private label" choice meats, from seriouseats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/...ice-steak.html

Be sure to read the last paragraph of the article, even if you skim the rest.
        Last edited by EdF; August 5, 2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
          BBQ_Steve-O commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting article - Thanks!

Mr. Bones has tagged "Certified Angus" as Black Angus. There is a HUGE difference. Certified Angus is a trademarked name that’s been around for a number of years. It is only sold by licensed retailers and restaurants. I have been in the business over 50 years and will tell you these are the fussiest people in the meat business! They have requirements of their dealers unlike anyone else. Their products are the most consistent I have seen, also the most expensive. I have seen reatailers and restaurants everywhere using the term Black Angus. As far as I know it is as Mr. Gallagher said a non-approved name only.

Comment

Costco Prine "whole" (point and flat)brisket needs a lot of trimming. I mean pounds of waste.
          Costco Choice brisket is just the "flat" and has been really trimmed of fat.

At least this is what I see here in Va.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I was going to say too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here