Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What time would you start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What time would you start?

As the title says I’m wondering when you guys would start the cook. 12lbs packer injected with 10oz of broth, cooking whole at 225 in Yoder pellet cooker. Planning to crutch with foil at 170 or so. Will hold wrapped in foil in a hotel pan inside a cambro. Need to be ready to slice at 5pm.

Midnight at the Oasis.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, no later than that.

That sounds good to me. You can cambro for a long time if it gets done early.

Comment

Thanks guys. I put it in at 12. 7 hours in the point is holding around 170 and the flat at 150. Timing Looks good, I’ll wrap when the flat gets closer to 160+.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F7930107-EF24-4D60-9469-4F4DE4E41BEE.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	543223Click image for larger version

Name:	7AB77497-1031-4FD7-9048-73ADEF33F9A4.png
Views:	92
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	543222

Comment

I would let it ride a little while longer, to build up that bark. If you injected that much broth into the meat, you should not have to worry about drying it out. (Unless you are only wrapping to save time.)

Comment

Spinaker I’m serving at 5 so I don’t think I need to save time at this point. I’ll let it ride.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call, amigo!

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            That sure is a nice looking smoker!

A Yoder, a Fireboard, and a good looking brisket. Great combination for a long cook, and I know, a great dinner tonight.

Comment

Just opened to wrap after about 11 hours. Looking good so far. Obviously I havent tasted it yet but the color blows away anything I’ve taken off my kettle/SnS. (Ok I snuck a taste of the bark)

Name:	4C416FF0-DBDF-4BA2-B9D7-7F07CA82A8B6.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	543328

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice, having never used this cooker before I was a little nervous about start time.

Spinaker , I was totally wrong about not needing the extra time.

This was a stubborn one and just sat and sat in the 190s. Finally pulled it off about 190 in the flat and 198 in the point to get an hour in the cambro before serving. It was delicious but the consistency was not my best.

The point was excellent and probe tender but the flat was a bit rubbery. I think it needed another couple of hours. I've never separated point and flat before as I like to serve using the Sorkin slice but I am starting to see the wisdom of those who do.

Bark was perfect and flavor was there. I'm totally sold on this pellet thing. The effort:result ratio makes so much sense.

Name:	IMG_2497.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	544091

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here