Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm cooking Better Brisket now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm cooking Better Brisket now

My 4th or 5th, not too sure but started as a 3.8 Kg brisket and a DANG fine job even if I say so. Dry brined in fridge for 4 days. Started 8h30 this morning and ran the cooker at an average of 118C with water bath and monitored by my XR50. Used only ground black pepper for the rub. Removed from smoker after 8 hours and IT was 81C in point and 90C in flat wrapped in foil to finish at home in the oven. Unwrapped and finished the cook in a roasting pan to an IT of 95C. Was disappointed with the smokiness and I blame that on the cherry wood. I only had a small handful of mesquite and a packet of cherry so mixed the first batch and the rest of the smoke was with cherry. I didnโ€™t get a dark bark but was oh so tender and tasty (a little drier at flat section). Total cook time was just under 11 hours and held in the cambro for as long as I was able to hold out (just over an hour). Having the right equipment (XR50) has made a big difference to my cookโ€™s end results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2138.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	542895

Name:	SAM_2145.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	542896

Name:	SAM_2149 (1).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	542897

The bark might not have been as dark as you would like, but the important thing is how it tasted.

Comment

Good looking cook. One way to improve your smoke intake is too throw the brisket into the freezer, shortly before putting it on the smoke. The quick chill will drop the temp of the brisket. Cold, wet meat allows for more smoke to be picked up by the meat. I usually throw the brisket in the freezer about an hour before the cook and then go straight from the freezer to the smoker. If you have a chance, give it a try next time. I think you will like the results. Not that it matters, but you also get a better smoke ring.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's amazing how many places I still see it recommended to bring your meat up to room temperature before grilling/smoking. I don't generally put things in the freezer before cooking, but I do keep them in a 37 degree refrigerator until it's time to start the cook. Depending on how long it's been in there after coming out of the freezer, the internal temp is often below freezing when it starts.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        It was 3C when I put it in and I'm convinced that cherry wood is the culprit as I found the same end result (milder smokiness) with other cherry wood cooks. I'm becoming a big fan of mesquite and next wood purchase will be hickory. I've taken to cooking my skinless. boneless chicken breasts from half frozen. done a few times that way and works well for me.

I agree with Spin, that is a good looking cook. It is fantastic to see you doing the things you are doing. Sounds like your having a whale of a time doin it, cool. ๐Ÿ‘รฐลธโ€ขยถ

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Doing as many smokes a week as I can and on whales they will be back in the bay shortly but.... don't think it'll work out.

Beautiful job, Brother! Hope it was nearly as tasty as it looks!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Was really good. Thank you.

holehogg, ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿป ๐Ÿป ๐Ÿป ๐Ÿป ๐Ÿป ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ WELL DONEรขโ‚ฌยผรฏยธย Dan

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanking you Sir.

That looks mighty tasty.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here