Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing my first sous vide brisket! Father-son bonding time, too! QVQ brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing my first sous vide brisket! Father-son bonding time, too! QVQ brisket

So maybe it's blasphemy... I don't know.

I've had this Prime packer in my fridge for a while. Packing date from Costco was 06/14/2018, so it's been aging for somewhere between 7 and 9 weeks, as I've read the "packing" date is when it arrives at the store and is labeled and could be as much as 2 weeks off. The Wife has put me off the last several weekends on cooking this, but I finally decided now is the time. In-laws (MIL and 2 SisIL) flew in from out of the country this week, so they'll get to check it out, but my father-in-law won't be here till middle of next week, so he's going to have to settle for the other things I do later. lol

So the packer was 14.9 lbs. Made it a nice learning activity with my son bringing him in and slowly and carefully trimming the brisket down, removing silverskin, etc. He seemed to enjoy it, while I was holding my breath as he wielded my trusty Rapala filet knife. He did well, though, no cuts. Spent a lot of time explaining the anatomy of the brisket, the different types of fat, why we trim the way we do, why we leave a fat cap on, how salt and spices penetrate the meat (or don't), etc.

Got 'er salted up and rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops brisket rub - I wanted to try something not so heavy on black pepper, which always bothers me. S&P or SPG is ok, but even on my pastrami, the black pepper always overpowers too much, for my taste. Here she is, all rubbed up and nowhere to go - well, ok, not true, she had a destination:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_181102-L.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	542781

Looking good.

So, I threw her in the Yoder YS480 at the lowest heat setting (150°F) for about 3 hours. I did fat cap down, and I also set 2 extra smoke tubes burning as well. I used Pit Boss Pecan, Hickory and Mesquite pellets. Pulled her out and bagged and sealed, and bagged and sealed again. Had my son continue to help me with this, so he gets used to using the sealer. We double-sealed both ends of the inner bag and triple sealed both ends of the outer bag. I was surprised I didn't have to trim any of the sides off to get it to fit in the vacuum bags, but with two people, it went in just fine.

Name:	20180803_182220-L.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	542782

Now it's in the water bath. I didn't have a big enough container for this, so I ran to WalMart and ended up with a 70L one, which really is TOO big, but all the other choices were really too shallow. Oh well. You can definitely smell the smoke this baby picked up in the Yoder, it leaks out of the double bags and permeates the whole house. I am going to be salivating all weekend!

So the plan is 144°F for 40-44 hours. Then I'll take it out and reevaluate. I'm not sure if I want to put some more rub on it at that point (sous vide always seems to require more seasoning, in my experience, especially salt) and throw it back in the Yoder for 2-4 hours to try to firm up the bark, or just go after it with the trusty old searing tool:

What do you guys think? Back on the smoker or char the outside? Also, do you think it needs a "rest" afterwards? I am thinking not, being that it is sous vide...

So this will all happen Sunday afternoon, after church. Got some friends and family coming over, should be a good time.

Look for more pics and probably some slicing pr0n!

Looks like a great plan. Enjoy Sunday. I'd put it back on the smoker, but searing it with the torch in front of your guests would look awesome.

Comment

I'm more for the smoker too. Rest is not needed.

Comment

Yep just smoke to establish bark. Watch your temps, try to stay around your SV temp for a finish. Last one I did I never got above 135* in the entire QVQ process, came out great !! Good luck with yours, makes them tender and moist.

Name:	D76CBDF0-0AB4-4C74-A066-4B419DC5C301.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	542845

Comment

That looks awesome Troutman ! What temp did you do yours at, and did you ice bath it in between, or did you just pull it out of the SV and straight to the smoker? I would think I'd need 225-250°F at least, if not higher, in order to really set the bark?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes always ice bath, it gives more time for the final smoke to reset the bark. Go higher on the final smoke for maximum bark set as well.

I’d ice bath it after SV then run it hot (350F) to finish so you aren’t dealing with any stall and get the bark established.

I go lower, never going above 135F but that does take 48-72 hours in the SV.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            I would normally agree, but the majority of the guests will not want their meat pink.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah yes, have had to deal with that one!

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually do QVQ with home corned beef brisket. It’s supposed to be pink. :-)

About 2.5 hours left on the SV timer... I think I'm gonna pull it off about an hour early, I think, chill it quickly (probably not all the way, but cool it off a good bit), then back on the smoker at higher temp. I am worried about it getting too hot internally and losing some of that moisture I've cooked super low and super slow to maintain. Like, I wonder how long in the smoker at 350°F-ish. I'd think no more at that temp than a couple of hours to set the bark well, but... I'm worried my internal will go up a good bit higher that way.

This method is a big learning curve for me. Expect more pics this evening!

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just stick in a temp probe and pull it out when it approaches 130 or so. Should be just long enough to set the bark.

If you’ve got tallow available (save that trim), you can heat it to 350 and slowly pour over the brisket (in a pan that will drain or somewhere you won’t make a mess) just before service to flash fry the bark.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here