Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket reheat technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket reheat technique

I smoked a whole packer by separating the point from the flat. I froze the point whole in a vac bag. I’m looking to reheat it and most of the posts say to do it with a SV. I don’t have one. How do you recommend reheating this hunk of meat to its prior glory? Oven at 325F wrapped in foil with some beef broth? Stove top in in bag with boiling water? Others ideas for the non-SV cook?

i do stove top in a bag with simmering water. i also find that steaming it works great too

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Steaming, really? That surprises me. Steaming an open cut - do you put a lid on the steamer - you must, right? Still.. just water? I never really thought to use a steamer this way - of course I still reheat pizza in a microwave, not in a pan in the oven.

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah i have a steamer thing i put in a pot that elevates things off out of the water and it does a nice job reheating the meat. the meat isn't sitting in water so it doesn't suck out the flavor, the fat renders but doesn't all go away, it's steam (yup, lid on) so it's a pretty all encompassing heat

Take it out of the bag put it in a pan with a little broth cover and reheat at 170 or 200 however low your oven will go. I've reheated them on the smoker this way too with low heat.

Comment

Refrigerator until it is thawed, probably about 24 hours. Then slice and microwave. About 45 seconds does four nice slices.

Comment

There are many roads to Enlightenment!

Comment

I had a similar situation yesterday... I finished off a Flat and a point around midnight, I let it rest till about 2am before sticking it in the fridge. I used a foil crutch, so I left the foil on and wrapped them in plastic wrap to let it rest. I left it in the foil and plastic and took it to the picnic wrapped that way. I opened them up and put the meat on the grill to reform a crust... it apparently worked I won first prize at our company picnic with my Brisket sliders. :-)

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome!

I think using a pot of nicely simmering water works well. Just make sure the water is above 140*. I shoot for around 170*.

Comment

Since I vacuum seal my leftover BBQ, I reheat almost all of my bbq on the stovetop in simmering water (if doing bulk meat). I find doing that keeps the meat moist, smokey, and flavorful.

Comment

I first saw my tabletop roaster at my cousins on Thanksgiving - we needed every available oven.

I got mine at Menards for $ 40.00 on sale. One of the best things I have, at any price. I reheat everything with this, on a rack, above liquids of choice (which is sometimes PBR). I put racks or roasts in overnight. The temp range of ~ 200F - 450F is pretty accurate. I drop a towel in on warm for faux cambro. I run it in my truck off the invertor. I love this thing - I need two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nesco Table Top.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	542608
              So - the moral here is to reheat that point with SOME liquids - not a lot - slow, in a sealed pot. I wouldn't put it in the oven unless I put it in a Dutch oven first. That said, a cast-iron pot with a lid slow reheat with a 1/2C of beef stock is a good choice.

Comment

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep an eye on Menards. A couple of years ago (if I remember right) my church bought four or five of these for $25 each. Church dinners we have them all going, plus the ones we already had. Doubled the size of our kitchen a few years ago and every outlet (as in each outlet in a duplex) is on it's own circuit on the serving window.

I put it in hot water and used my Smoke to momitor the water was at 170 F. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I cranked the heat to get the water hot (~190 F) figuring the temp would dive like when one deep fries. I slipped in the vac sealed brisket. I stirred the water a few times to make sure the water was even throughout during the duration. I had to really turn down the heat to low. The water held temp really well as long as there was a little heat to keep it going. I let it go for about an hour and the meat came out right at 170 F, moist, and delicious. Granted, it was the point of the brisket so it was fattier. I think this method worked great. It reheated up evenly, it stayed moist, and the bark didn’t suffer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	658CD2DC-BDB4-4D3F-A01D-F58309CD08F1.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	542707

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent! Homemade sous vide, essentially! This is how I did some steaks before I bought my first sous vide, it is what convinced me this was a viable cooking method.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here