Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for brisket points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for brisket points

Hi all
    New to the site, and definitely new to brisket.
    Going to smoke two 2.5lb brisket points tomorrow.
    Dry brine today, rub and into BGE at 225-degrees until 190 internal then into the cooler. Was thinking about crutching at 150.
    ANY idea how long it will take to hit 190?
    Thoughts would be very welcome
    Thanks much!

Welcome to the pit Docgilby! Brisket is one of my favorites! Hmm, the brisket points are small, so I would say 6-8 hours. But the meat will tell you when it's done. There are two conditions to check for:

A) internal temp hits 203° F, OR
    B) the briskets are probe tender (wiggle the temp probe. When it's soft like 'buttah', then it's done).

Whichever happens first counts. Good idea to crutch when they are that size.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I've never done a point, so I can't give you an answer, but thickness is more important than weight. Why have you chosen 190* as the pull temp? Most here pull when the meat is probe tender. That would usually be anywhere between 190* and 210*, and normally on the lower side for a point.

Comment

Ditto on most of the above. In my experience - and I cook the point and flat separately - a point will usually get to probe tender at 190 - 195, and that's when I start checking it. It could require more cooking, though, so don't get too locked into a certain temperature.

Comment

agree with above except I never cook further than 195 period. And I use a BGE. I will typically wrap in towels and then cooler for an additional 3-4 hours so there is plenty of carryover if needed. I have always found on the BGE 203-205 just to far done.

Comment

Great advice. Thanks y’all.

Comment

Welcome from Texas !! Good advice above, take advantage of it !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here