Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining/prepping Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining/prepping Brisket

whats everyone’s favorite method of brining and rubbing brisket?

Dead simple. Dry brine for 24 hours then rub down with a liberal amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning. Same for almost any cut of beef. I might mix it up a bit on other cuts with some or all of chili, cayenne, cumin, onion, and garlic powders, but you can't go wrong with a Texas style salt and pepper rub.

Comment

• Scout789
      Scout789 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Montreal Steak Seasoning. Use it for steaks and burgers but I stick to Tony C.'s for most of my smoking endeavors.

• cftarnas
      cftarnas commented
      Editing a comment
      How much salt do you use to dry brine with so you don't end up over salting with the Montreal?

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Never measured it, I just put a liberal sprinkling on and don't worry about it.

I go 1/2 tsp coarse Kosher salt per [post-trimming] pound of meat. Then on the thicker point end I add a slight dusting more. I try to do this at least 24 hrs in advance but I prefer 36-48 if circumstances permit. I like Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub, Heaven Made Products' Texas Brisket Rub, and Henrik's Bonafide Beef Rub. Usually BBBR makes the cut, either straight or mixed about 50/50 with either the others since I like its bold kick on my brisket and so do most of my friends.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm waiting for someone to say "brown sugar for the bark" just so we can pile on and accuse them of being from New York City.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx NO sugar on beef here (and I'm northern), except for the trace amounts present in the rubs I use.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      BBBR has sugar in the recipe....

Step 1: trim away a bunch of hard external fat and thin parts of the meat that won't make nice slices; Step 2: separate the point from the flat. Then, usually, just some kosher salt and course ground black pepper for 24 hours. Occasionally, I'll substitute Montreal steak seasoning for the salt and pepper.

Comment

I dry brine for at least 24 hours with Kosher salt. Then I use Tony C.'s as a rub. Even though Tony's contains liberal amounts of salt, I don't find that it gets too salty. I cook to an internal temp of 200-205 as measured in the thickest part of the point. Never had a complaint yet, except from my most vocal critic (that would be me).

Comment

Thanks all - I’ve also been seeing the name Butcher Brisket injection around - anyone have experience using it to prep?

Comment

• sfrancis353
          sfrancis353 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used it in competitions. Both it and the pork injections are good. The phosphates help retain moisture and it adds a beefy (or porky) flavor that is pronounced. I normally inject with just low sodium beef broth. It's cheaper and to me gives a more natural flavor kick.

I inject, but for beef I make the liquid myself. Beef stock, Worcestershire 2:1 - almost the same as my marinade for jerky but without spices. (for jerky I add liquid smoke)

Comment

Butchers is one of the top injections on the BBQ comp circuit. I’ve used it and generally like it; having said that it’s main ingredients (beef broth, phosphates, MSG and soy) can all be mixed and matched in your kitchen. Kosmos Q is a similar and well used product.

Comment

Kosher salt and coarse black pepper dry brined at least 24 hrs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here