Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Skinny On Chuck Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Skinny On Chuck Eyes

I've read some recent posts concerning tenderness complaints after grilling some chuck eye steaks. For those who may not know anything about this cut perhaps a little anatomy explanation is in order. There's a muscle that runs from about the hip area up to the shoulder of a cow called the longissimus dorsi. For the most part it is a non-working muscle so it is generally very tender. Along with the spinalis dorsi, it is the main muscle that makes up your prime rib or ribeye cuts. As that muscle enters into the chuck section (at the junction of the 5th and 6th ribs) it continues for about two more ribs (or maybe 4-5") then terminates into a tougher working muscle that makes up what is called the chuck eye roll, pictured here....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290.JPG
Views:	652
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	540821
    It's critical that your meat cutter knows to carve out that first few inches because it's literally like it's adjacent ribeye cousin. Also known as the Delmonico steak it has all the tenderness and juiciness of a ribeye. The remainder of the chuck eye roll is then portioned into country ribs or sold whole as an American roast that needs to obviously be treated and cooked differently in a low and slow manner. Having said this, I suspect that folks are buying cuts of meat in the grocery store labeled "chuck eye" and finding them to be tough, indicating that the cut may be taken from too far back in the chuck eye roll.

I have a local butcher who is keenly aware of this so I trust what he gives me are the true chuck eye steaks. Shown here are some I recently bought and cooked, these are CAB quality....

Name:	chuck eye 01.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	540822

Name:	chuck eye 02.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	540823

So why all the fuss about this cut and making sure you get it right? Well this falls into the category of beef that I call cheaper meats make good eats. As I write this, prime ribeyes here in Houston are hovering around $20/lb. I'm able to get these CAB chuck eyes for around $8.99/lb. That's less than half the price for something as good as prime steak !!!

If you can find them I encourage you to buy them, just make sure it's the right cut of meat. I went ahead and made some bacon wrapped Anaheim peppers stuffed with a mix of sharp cheddar and mild Italian sausage for a side. Throw in some Texas Hill Country sausage, and we're eating good at reasonable prices !!!

Name:	chuck eye 03.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	540824

Name:	chuck eye 04.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	540825

Name:	chuck eye 05.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	540826

ENJOY !!! TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT !!!!!

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    So why all the fuss about this cut and making sure you get it right? Well this falls into the category of beef that I call cheaper meats make good eats. As I write this, prime ribeyes here in Houston are hovering around $20/lb. I'm able to get these CAB chuck eyes for around $8.99/lb. That's less than half the price for something as good as prime steak !!!
    Chuck eye steak is also perfect for hamburger meat when ground (duh!). It's all I use these days ...

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Just grounded up a couple pounds this afternoon. Makes really great burgers.

Thanx for the info. I'll be on the lookout.

Comment

Odd - I've got one in the fridge now, about to be sent to the coals in a day or two. I was looking for Brisket, didn't see one I liked, and saw this big hunk of beef so I grabbed it. In it will go, low and slow.

It looks like you did very little prep? I was going to seed it and aerate it like a lawn...

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Salt brined and seasoned, grilled reverse sear to 130* just like a ribeye, cuz its essentially the same thing. Beyond the 3rd rib what you may have is the chuck eye or American roast and not the steaks. And yes it's a low and slow beast, just like any chuck roast.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx. jim

Good write up. Thanks for finding the additional info.

I have one more CES from Crowd Cow in the freezer that I am going to pair up with two other cuts, Hanger and Coullette for a taste testing with the family. So will be interesting to compare the hanger and chuck eye. The Coullette I know will be completely different, but just as to have a few types. I plan on going with straight charcoal and then sear with these three, keeping in mind the thickness and type of cuts. So will monitor temps, pull and dry then brush with a little beef love and sear.

Im assuming coming from CC this is true chuck eye steak. But I’ll look at others when I make a trip to the butcher next time. But they look like the cuts you have above.

Thanks again Troutman!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hangar and flat iron are next on my list of cheap meats make good eats !! Looking forward to your report !!!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh! I forgot I had flat iron too!

Thanks - you really know your meat; it really shows in your pics. That pic just below the bacon wrapped peppers looks "danged good".

Comment

I can get chuck roll and clod at my cash and carry and am learning how to butcher it for those cuts. Also use it for burger. Choice grade. Costco has Prime on some cuts, including brisket.

Comment

Thanks for the info more stuff to confuse my butcher... again and great looking cook.

Comment

Sssh! Troutman! How dare you! Chuck eyes were our little secret. Now everyone will buy them and the price will skyrocket!

I like to tell people chuck eyes are baby ribeyes, they cook up & eat just as good IMHO, and far cheaper too. Only down side they liek to unroll as you cook them, but unless you're looking for a perfected "plated steak" photo, this matters nada to me.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment

As always Troutman. A great write up and good info. Ribe eyes I can get for about $6.50 a kg here in Argentina.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice price!

Wow, Troutman you know your beef! Thanks for the information. I've only bought chuck steak for grinding into burgers. I did a chuck roast on rotisserie awhile back. Was received well .The supermarket I shop if I went to the lead butcher and presented this, I'd get a deer in the headlight reaction. Plus I don't care attitude. I do have Whole Foods and a couple of local farms that have pretty nice and IMO over priced selections I'll take a shot locally. If anything it will be an amusing experience. Thanks again.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              My experience with supermarket butchers is similar. I think they're like hospital cafeteria cooks- not really cooks (or butchers) just barely over minimum wage employees doing the job they were hired for. I remember my first trip to a real butcher, when I said "do you have packers or just flats?" and I didn't get that blank stare I got a "we have both, and points too". I was elated

Unfortunately the art of butchery is a dying art. It used to be actual butchers who broke down sides of beef to sell to local patrons, were in every neighborhood. With the advent of commodity beef we now have centralized meat cutters who break down primals to box ship to grocery stores where other meat cutters package product. In short the art and humanity in how we receive our food is d.o.a.

As as a result we as consumers become used to the pre-packaged common cuts of meat we’re presented. Those cuts then become subject to commodity pricing. Finding cheaper cuts, that properly prepared can be as delicious as their higher priced cousins, is somewhat of a holy grail for me.

Find a a local butcher shop (or meat cutter) who is knowledgeable about alternative cuts of meat that can save you money. It’s well worth the effort !!

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              In 1975 there was a book that came out called "Cutting Up in the Kitchen: The Butcher's Guide to Saving Money on Meat & Poultry" by a butcher named Merle Ellis. He also did some PBS shows. I'm still have and refer to this book.

It's amazing what you can do with a good knife and a large hunk of meat.

YouTube has some tutorials on breaking down those sub-primals.

Old thread, I know.

Comment

Troutman , great writeup! I’ve been experiencing the exact opposite, believe it or not! I tried some chuck eyes from Porter Road ($13, compared to $16 for supermarket choice ribeyes)... have no access to a local butcher, btw...
              immediately realized that the chuck eye was the same as a ribeye (being dry aged & Porter Road, it was way better than Kroger ribeye)...
              the thing I ran into is finding chuck eye roasts (and steaks) labeled & sold as chuck roast at Kroger, finally confirmed with the meat Mgr who laughed & said "yeah, they won’t let us cut them separate"... so I manage to watch the marbling & buy chuck eye roasts for chuck price....
              unfortunately, because they don’t separate, there is often other muscle aside from the longisimus dorsi (sp?), regular old chuck shoulder. and that can be tough. If you find them right, & trim the right edge, you wind up with what is basically a ribeye roast... I’ve done several now to 130 degrees, and they were amazing!
              Great post, and bottom line: know your cuts of meat, cause the cutter may not, & it might work in your favor!
              Attached Files

Comment

• patcrail
                patcrail commented
                Editing a comment
                Btw, that was sold as a "chuck shoulder roast", paid about $8 for 2 lbs on BOGO... only a few like that, but it pays to know

Troutman
              Who's your butcher? Although I've made friends with the butcher at my Kroger, I've yet to find a good butcher shop here

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Meat Masters on Fry Rd in Katy

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                I will check them out for sure. That's not too far from my office....... If my office ever reopens.
                Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here